9: Lads and Louis

Start from the beginning

                  With the silverware laid out, all that was left were the plates, which Olivia was already handing to him. He admired their work, taking his time so that he could think about his response. After the plates were out and the table was finished, he started walking with Olivia back into the kitchen.

                  "Yeah, I think I'm going to. I guess I do get into the whole Christmas thing."

                  Olivia started laughing, so Harry joined her, figuring it was a good sign. "They were good times, I'll give you that. My family used to do the craziest things on Christmas Eve." She sighed fondly, her expression suddenly making her look a couple years younger like she was trying to go back in time. "If only adulthood had never happened, eh?"

                  "The real world came knocking," Harry nodded.

                  "Exactly. Anyway, it was nice to finally meet you, Harry. Thanks for," she gestured over her shoulder, "helping with that table. I've got to run an errand for the chef. I'll see you around?"

                  "It was really nice to meet you too, Olivia," Harry told her. As she started to back away, though, he quickly blurted, "Hey, what if I made you a deal that you simply won't be able to refuse. Would you join the employee carol singers with me then?"

                  This seemed to throw her off for a moment, but she paused. "Um. I guess it depends on this supposedly irresistible deal."

                  Harry's lips twitched in amusement, but he continued. "I'll make sure you have a Christmas just like, if not better than, the Christmases you used to have. No charge."

                  Olivia didn't believe him. He could see that right away, and he supposed he was being sort of blunt and maybe even a little odd, but he couldn't help it. It was in his nature to want to fix this kind of problem whenever a human faced it, and here was his chance. He wouldn't let the Elder Elves be totally right about humans if he could help it even a little bit.

                  "That does sound pretty irresistible," Olivia said, humoring him. "But I don't know. Sounds too good to be true."

                  "It's pretty amazing," Harry agreed, going along with it. It was okay if she didn't see how serious he was being. She'd see when the time came. "I'd take the deal if I were you, but what do I know?"

                  "I suppose I've got nothing better to do Christmas Eve."

                  Harry hoped the grin that spread on his face wasn't too unwarranted. "That's the spirit."

                  Olivia returned his smile and rolled her eyes, beginning to back away again. "Goodbye, Harry."

                  "See you soon."

❄●❄

                  LOUIS WASN'T AT Gibson's when Harry got there after his shift. This was just as well, because Harry was feeling creative and he couldn't really write poems about his favorite human when his favorite human was with him. No one had to tell Harry that that would be a little awkward.

                  Molly wasn't working, and Harry didn't know this barista, so he simply ordered his peppermint hot cocoa and a muffin and went to sit in his booth by the window without making small talk. He pulled the pen he carried with him now out of his pocket and grabbed some napkins from the dispenser and let his memory work some magic.