Chapter 24 II High Hopes

Chapter 24 

Rebecca's POV

Rebecca: Ross?

Ross: What?!

He turns towards me with teary eyes and his voice sounds mad.

Rebecca: I'm sorry.

My voice is shaking and now I can see that he's trying to suppress his tears by blinking his eyes, but it's not helping. He doesn't say anything. He just shakes his head and turns away from me.

Rebecca: ... I love you.

He holds in and for a moment I thought he would turn around and tell me he loves me too and we would apologize and everything would be perfect again. ... But I was wrong. A few seconds later, he closes the door behind himself, leaving me alone and heartbroken in our apartment. I'm thinking about running after him, but that would only cause the situation to get worse. I'm just gonna give him some time alone. He's been through so much and I can't believe I just made everything worse. He thinks that I see Maya as a mistake, but I don't. It's all a misunderstanding and I know it's hard to believe because of my choice of words, but I truly love my little daughter as much as Ross does. She's part of my life. I could never live without her. She belongs to our little family. And now I also lost my boyfriend. Could this day get any worse? I sit down on the couch once again and pull my knees up to my chest. The TV is still on and I take a look at it. The movie from before is over and now a new movie is playing. Home alone. I usually love this movie. I watch it every year during Christmas season, which is why I don't understand why this movie is already playing in November. It has just begun and right now the whole family in the movie is squeezing themselves in the van. A small smile always appears on my face, when the family accidently forgets their son at home. I always find it hilarious, but now my smile disappears again. ... They're losing their child. ... My vision gets blurry and now I can't hold it back anymore. I turn the TV off and place my face in my hands, while loud sobs escape my mouths. I lost my mom, dad, sister, boyfriend and daughter. Can this get any worse? Why did this happen? Why does god have to punish me so hard in life? WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Ross' POV

I turn around a corner and now I'm walking along the sideway in a nice neighborhood. The rain became heavier and is still going strong, but I don't care anymore. My clothes and hair are already wet, so it doesn't matter if the rain continues or not. After some more feet I finally reach the familiar house. I walk up to the door and look at the name sign. Here live George, Cheryl and Ellington Ratliff. Okay, they still live here. I ring the doorbell and wait for someone to answer. Nothing. I try it one more time with another ring, but still, no one is answering. Great, now the whole Ratliff family has to be out. In the exact moment when I need a small accommodation for the night.

Ross: Alright, guess I'll be sleeping under the stars.

I turn around and make my way towards the small gate which defines their small front yard. At least the rain is slowly starting to slow down and now it's only a drizzle. I'm freezing like crazy and wrap my arms around me once again, trying to heat myself up a little bit. I quickly leave the neighborhood again and walk along the sideway through downtown. Because we already have November, the sun is slowly starting to set and the sky changes it color from bright blue to a nice yellow/orange kinda color. (Picture in media). I stick my ice cold hands again in my pockets of my denim jacket and continue walking. Only a few feet further along the street, I see a brightly illuminated shop. Oh what the hell. I'm life is already a mess. Nothing can get worse now. I open the door and the bell signalizes the salesman that I entered. I go towards the counter with the cash register and grab a package of cigarettes. Nothing can get worse now, I'm telling myself over and over again. I search through my pockets for some cash, which really annoys the salesman, but he has to deal with it now. Finally, I find some dollar and I place them on the counter. I grab the packages of cigarettes and leave the shop again. I'm once again in the park from before, sitting on a bench and examining a cigarette between my fingers.