04 | One Step Closer

I looked like a different girl. 

Everything about me seemed different. When I looked at my reflection, I hardly recognized my plain, average self. My makeup was on heavier than I usually did it: Stephanie had done winged eyeliner and made my lashes look ten times longer than they actually were, and my lips were plump, pink, and glossed. I was wearing ripped jeans and black strapped wedges that made my legs look a mile long. Steph had stuck me in a shirtsleeved v-neck burgundy shirt that hugged my torso and left a few too many inches of my stomach exposed. 

My green eyes looked more vibrant than normal with the black eyeliner and mascara framing them as my gaze drifted to my hair. My blonde hair, which I usually leave in my natural waves, had been curled so the hair cascades down my back in soft waves. As I looked myself over for the umpteenth time, I was in awe by reflection. I wasn't used to looking like this. I wasn't used to looking good at all, period. 

"You look amazing," Stephanie gushes as she claps her hands in excitement. "Thomas won't know what hit him."

Finally, I tore my gaze away from the mirror to turn around and grin at my best friend. My heart was pounding against my chest in nerves, and yet her words just boosted my confidence even more. "Well, what are we waiting for?" 

She grins widely at me. "You're right. Let's go."

Stephanie drove my car to Justin Jones' house and stroked my ego the entire ride. I knew she was trying to build my confidence up, make me feel more assured that I would be able to pull this whole thing off, and it was working. By the time we parked down the street from Justin's house, I knew that I was mentally prepared to face the popular crowd at the party. Only the popular's went to the parties, and that was, of course, the crowd Thomas hung around, so I knew he would be there.

When Stephanie was in high school, she hung around the more popular crowd, too. She had a fling with Justin Jones during her senior year and our junior year, so it was no surprise she managed to get invited to his party with so much ease. It made me feel instantly better that she was here with me, because that meant that I was at least somewhat welcome here by association.

Stephanie opens the front door of Justin Jones' house and immediately I recognized a Kanye West song blaring through the speakers somewhere inside. The house was fairly big, with a large front room and grand staircase, which was currently littered with people who had red solo cups in their hand. I watched, to my satisfaction, a few people around the front door turn and stare as Steph and I walk further into the house, entering the kitchen. 

As we passed the people in the front room, I could already hear the whispers. People were asking "Who's that girl with Stephanie Cain?" and "That can't be Lauren Collins, can it?". The shock factor that Stephanie was going for was definitely working. When we squeeze into the kitchen, I see a keg and a few coolers filled with beers on the floor, and that's exactly where Steph dragged me. We maneuvered through crowds of people, making a beeline for the booze, and I felt eyes on me the entire way.

"You're going to need a drink to calm down," Stephanie mutters quietly as she fills a cup from the keg and hands it to me with an encouraging smile.

I take the cup and glance around the kitchen, meeting the gaze of multiple guys who were checking me out, and multiple girls who were sizing me up. Once I noticed their stares, I took a long swig from my drink, suddenly understanding why people drank to make the nerves go away. Again, I swept my gaze around the room, keeping my expression indifferent, even when I noticed some girls whispering as they stole glances at me.