Chapter 17

~~Back to Courtney’s POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We dropped off Ratliff and Kelly and headed home. As soon as we got home Stormie and Mark made us all go to bed since we had court in the morning. I didn’t sleep much, worried about tomorrow and how well it was gonna go, and before I knew it, it was morning, and I walked downstairs to find Riker making breakfast again. I joined him, and we made breakfast, just like any normal day, and I used this time to tell him a bit about my plan for Christmas, even though I wasn’t quite sure if I’d even be here on Christmas. He smiled, assuring me that I would.

“I hope” I said, setting the table as we heard footsteps coming downstairs. Soon the whole family was there and I took my seat in between Riker and Ross.

“Okay. Now, we have a few announcements. For one, as soon as we finish eating, everyone go get ready. Second, we have been discussing this for awhile, but I think now its decided. If all goes well in court today, we would like to offer you a permanent home here. You’re already part of the family.” Stormie announced over breakfast. Everyone cheered and I smiled, getting up to hug her. I finished my breakfast with one hand under the table holding Ross’.

It was now 2 in the afternoon. I was sitting in the courthouse next to Ross, his parents and Rob. The jury had just gone out to discuss, and I was worried, waiting to hear what the rest of my life would be like. I glanced across the courtroom at my mom, who was glaring at me, must’ve been because of my testimony, well maybe this whole thing but still. I sighed, laying my head on Ross’ shoulder. He squeezed my hand and the bailiff came in, telling us to all rise for the judge and jury, returning. We sat back down and the judge called order, asking the jury to tell their decision. The main juror stood.

“We find the defendant—“ I closed my eyes, terrified of what was about to happen… “Guilty, and grant full custody of Courtney to Mr. and Mrs. Lynch.” He finished and I opened my eyes, looking up at Ross with a huge grin. We all looked at the judge, who pounded his gavel to get attention again.

“Alright, the defendant will receive 6 years in prison for child abuse, neglect and abandonment, custody of her child stripped, with no visitation unless warranted by her and her guardians. Case dismissed.” He said, pounding his gavel again. I hugged Ross, and we got out of the courtroom quickly. I hugged everyone else. We started walking to the van hand-in hand with Ross.

“we did it.” I whispered to him. He chuckled.

“I’m sorry you now live with that” He said, gesturing to Rydel, Rocky, and Riker who were arm in arm, skipping through the parking lot. I smiled, shaking my head.

“No, it’s perfect, this is perfect.” I said, smiling mischievously before pulling him to the group and linking arms with Rydel, with him on the other side of me.

We all got into the van and their parents got into the car. We called Ratliff to tell him the news, then picked him up and went out for ice cream. After all that we headed home and walked inside and Mark told them they had a band meeting. They all headed upstairs and I went to the kitchen to help Stormie with dinner.

“Okay, so we were talking about it, and we think you need a more permanent bedroom. So how would you feel about sharing a room with Rydel? Her room would be plenty big enough for the two of you, and the kids need their practice room.” She told me. I nodded, smiling. “Good, we’ll move you in tomorrow then. And tonight we need to talk about Christmas. It’s in a few days.” She said, stirring whatever she had cooking. My eyes went wide.

“Is it that soon?” I said, thinking about the plan I was working on with Riker. She nodded, telling me it was on Friday, and then asking me to set the table. Soon, dinner was ready and I was sent upstairs to “gather the troops” as she put it. I laughed, running up the stairs and almost running straight into Ross. He caught me, right before I fell down the stairs.