Chapter 27 - Facade

Start from the beginning

"The garage?" I shook my head again. It was probably less than twenty degrees outside and the garage would be freezing from the snow that had built up over the past couple days. Maybe the snow would help slow my mother's car down and give us more time to clean up the disaster in the house.

"Where then?" He looked at me and waited for me to come up with a better idea. There wasn't that many rooms in the house. There was only one other room I could think of but I couldn't bring myself to tell him about it. "Well?" He looked at me impatiently and then at the bodies reminding me that we were on running out of time.

Breathe, Kaylee, I reminded myself, it isn't that big of a deal. It was just a room. We didn't have time to consider other options. I avoided his gaze as I walked past him and nodded at him to pick up someone. He chose to pick up Khloe first, easily scooping her up into his arms while her head hung at a weird angle.

Picking up the key chain where all my keys were located, I took one off and walked deeper into the house. I held my breath as I opened the door. Ayden shifted his weight so that Khloe's weight was distributed more equally throughout his arms. The door opened.

I couldn't remember the last time I was in this room. Was it a year ago? Four years ago? I counted back. How long ago did the accident happen? I was fourteen when it happened. And now I was nineteen. Five years ago.

I pushed open the door wider and avoided looking at the room itself. Everything was exactly how he had left it. My mother hadn't even bothered to go inside after it happened and only I came home. We had just both reached a silent agreement and locked the door shut.

I stayed close to the door, holding it open as an excuse to not go inside. Fortunately, Ayden didn't notice and pushed past me into the room where he laid Khloe down on my father's bed. I felt sick just thinking that she should even be allowed in his room, but I bit down on the inside of my cheek until I tasted blood.

Ayden left and came in again after a few more minutes, dropping Mya off on the spot next to Khloe. He turned towards me as if to say something, but then the doorbell rang. We looked at each other with the same horrified expression. Ayden reacted faster. He sprinted out the door, yanking me behind him. I barely locked the door before he pulled me away from the room altogether. We tripped down the stairs and into the living room. My wrist hurt but I kept my lips shut and rushed down the stairs with him.

"Grab his feet!" he yelled. I did as I was told while Ayden lifted the rest of Asher's body up. The doorbell rang again. "Shit," he mumbled under his breath. I didn't pay attention to him though. I was too busy trying to breathe under Asher's dead weight. Asher let out a groan and I almost dropped him.

"Where do we put him?" Ayden shifted Asher's weight in his arms and looked around wildly.

Bathroom, I mouthed. It was the closest room I could think of.

He read my lips and nodded, ushering us both in the direction of the bathroom. I could just imagine my mother standing outside the house tapping her feet impatiently. The phone in my pocket buzzed. A few seconds later my ringtone sounded.

Ayden threw open the bathroom door using his back and I followed. He set Asher's body down roughly while I pushed his feet over the bathtub's edge and into it. Asher let out another moan before letting his head fall back against the wall.

I could hear Ayden downstairs already opening the door. What would my mother think? Would she think that she had the wrong house? Or would she just find it extremely strange that there was a boy living in my house without her knowing it?

"Oh that's wonderful," I could hear her saying. He was probably helping her get her coat off now. I put my index finger to my lips so that Asher would know to stay quiet even though his eyes were still closed. Better safe than sorry. I closed the door behind me and ran back down the stairs.