Audience with a King

I stand timidly at the door, my hands shaking slightly. You can do this, I think to myself. It's not like it's hard. You've done this before. I lift my hand and knock before I can talk myself out of it. There is a moment of silence and I hold my breath, waiting.

"Who is it?" Jun calls from the other side. He sounds tired and I can't really blame him.

"It's me," I say and I bite my lip nervously.

"...come in," he says.

I push the door open slowly, peeking inside. I slip into the room and close the door behind us, what people may think be damned. "Jun," I say, seeing him sitting on the edge of his bed in his robe, his hair hanging around his shoulders. He looks completely exhausted. Though, truth be told, I didn't sleep very well last night either. But even still, with him looking so tired and worn out, I still find him to be very handsome. My eyes dip to the opening of his robe for a split second, a faint blush staining my cheeks.

"You look terrible," he tells me, but his usual smirk is nowhere to be found and if he notices my staring, he doesn't say a word.

"Who, me?" I ask. I was just thinking the same thing about you.

"Yeah," Jun says. He smiles, but it's a sad sort of smile. "But I understand. Trying to sleep after all that noise is impossible. I believe I owe you an apology too...I'm truly very sorry." He stands and pushes one hand through his hair and I feel my right hand twitch, as if wanting to do the same. I want to hug him and tell him everything will be alright, but I can't promise him that. Not yet. "Ever since you came to the palace, I've been hounding you for the bracelet."

I wince slightly, recalling the memories of my earlier days here. "It was a little...unpleasant," I admit. But not completely bad.

"At the time, I really wanted to become King. I cherish this nation. His Majesty, my brothers, Ivan – I love them all. But my heart...has always lived in that town. I began to notice that Balam was up to something sinister." He shakes his head, his lip curling slightly in disgust and I feel anger burning in my gut toward Balam. "And I wanted that bracelet in order to put a stop to his plans. But in everything I did, trying to get it, you came to hate me."

I feel like he just punched me in the gut. Hate you? No, I don't hate you! I shake my head without realizing it, but Jun doesn't notice and just pushes on.

"But as Balam no longer seemed to be scheming, I thought he'd given up. Looking back now, it was all just a ruse to set me up. I should have been more suspicious the time you saw Balam in town." He looks away from me, his face clouded with anger and despair. I've never seen him look so defeated. It's disconcerting. "He wouldn't have set foot there has it not been for some business deal. But realizing that only now illustrates nothing but my own inadequacy," Jun continues, looking more and more loathsome of himself.

I can't take it anymore. "Enough!" I blurt suddenly, surprising myself. "Enough already!"

His blue eyes widen and he looks startled. "Wha-"

"I don't want to see you like this!" I say hotly, interrupting him, my cheeks turning slightly red. "Please, I beg you – tease me like you always do. Act more arrogant! I just..." I step forward and, before I realize it, I've wrapped my arms around him. I bury my face in his chest and feel his arms lift slightly, his hands a feather light touch to my sides. "Please...the way you always are..." is the Jun I love, I think, unable to finish the sentence aloud. "I...I may be able to help you out." I shake my head. "No, I definitely can." I look up at him, tipping my head back so I can see his face. He looks confused and I think I see a bit of fear in his eyes. "I'll...entrust you with the bracelet."

"What?" he asks, blinking at me.

"It's the only way you can save the town," I say softly, shrugging one shoulder helplessly. And you deserve it.

"You're saying you'll make me...King?" he asks, as if he can't comprehend what I'm doing. I simply nod, heart racing.

"Don't waste your sympathy on me!" he snaps and my arms drop abruptly. I take a step back, feeling like he's slapped me. That wasn't exactly the reaction I was expecting, but I'm no shrinking violet – not anymore.

"It's not out of sympathy!" I shout at him. "If there's one thing I've come to know, it's how much you love the town folk and how much you care about the people around you. You would be a King celebrated by all the people." I glare at him, standing hands on hips. "I want to give it to you." I would laugh at the way those words came out if I wasn't so annoyed with him.

He looks at me for a long moment. "Are you sure you're not just feeling sorry for me?"

I sigh in exasperation. "No...I'm not. I believe that from the bottom of my heart," I tell him.

"Asaka..." I get a little distracted by the way he says my name, but snap back to reality when he continues speaking. "Do you...think I'd be a good King? As good as His Majesty?" I can hear the hope in his voice, but also the concern. The doubts.

I feel a smile forming on my lips. "Yes, you will be, Jun. You definitely will," I tell him. After a moment I continue, a little recklessly. "Even better than His Majesty!"

Jun gives a little chuckle. "Even better, huh?" he asks, some of the spirit coming back into his eyes. He stands a little straighter and I feel my heart sing. "Flying off the handle as usual." He pauses, eyes softening. "Asaka...?"

When he doesn't say anything more, I shift nervously. "What?"

He rubs his mouth. "...anks..."

I frown. What? Did he just...thank me? Before I can contemplate that further, he smiles deeply, eyes lighting up. He reaches out to cradle my face in one hand. I can feel my cheeks growing hot. He pulls me to him and presses his lips to my forehead tenderly. "I'll be sure to show my true gratitude after I become King, okay?" he asks in a quiet whisper. As he says this, he lets me go with a fearless smile on his face – the smile I love. I just can't believe how happy I am. My heart is going to beat right out of my chest. He reaches out and ruffles my hair slightly. "What?" he asks. "What's with the face?"

I smile sweetly. "Oh nothing..." I love you. I wish I could tell you.