Common Blood

The ballroom seems to be thriving with people, but I haven't actually entered the room yet. Ivan takes my hands in his and smiles kindly. "You can do this," he tells me. "It's only a party."

I shake my head. "Can I tell you something?" I ask. "In confidence?"

"Of course," Ivan assures me. He gives my hands a gentle squeeze.

"I think....no," I say, biting my lip. I stop as soon as I remember the lipstick I'm wearing. "I am in love," I say.

"With Master Jun," Ivan guesses.

I nod weakly. "It hurts," I say. "I don't want to love him. I'm trying not to," I admit. "It would never work."

"Perhaps," Ivan tells me. "But you will not know if you don't say something. He won't know if you don't say something."

"Maybe it's better off that way," I say quietly.

Ivan leans forward and kisses my cheek. "Come," he says. "This is a party. There is no need to be melancholy tonight. Put your troubles aside and live for the moment."

"Live for the moment," I repeat.

"Don't overthink things tonight. Save that for tomorrow," Ivan says. And then he is pushing open the doors and we are stepping into the ballroom.

It is stunningly beautiful. Lights and flowers and candles are all over the place, giving off lovely lighting. There are people filling the room, dressed elegantly. I catch sight of Lambert and Alvah off to the side, laughing with one another. They're dressed impeccably, flutes of wine in their hands. My eyes scan the room and I find Melchiorre, flirting as always, with the pretty young ladies in attendance. Chezem is easy to spot – he sort of stands out – as he leans against the back wall, a glass hanging from his fingers. From here it looks untouched. Nagit, the birthday boy, of course is surrounded by people wishing him a happy birthday. His eyes are alight with happiness and I can't help but smile.

But the one person I can't seem to find is Jun.

Ivan kisses my fingertips and heads off to do his butler thing, leaving me standing here alone. I curl one arm around my middle, suddenly not feeling so confident. I see Minister Balam and a beautiful young lady by his side. He places a hand on her shoulder and she nods, her head swiveling to look at me. I blink and avert my eyes, hoping she doesn't think I was staring. That must be Lady Falitna – Balam's daughter.

Twisting my fingers nervously around each other, I make my way over to Chezem. He looks up when I get closer and his eyes widen slightly. "Wow," he says and I blush. He looks down quickly and his cheeks redden. "You look nice."

"Thank you," I say. "As do you."

He shrugs, but doesn't say anything. I lean against the wall beside him and he suddenly looks up. "Tell me about Japan," he says, startling me.

"Oh," I say, thinking. "Well...what do you want to know?"

Before Chezem can answer, a young man walks over whom I have never met. "Pardon me, your Highness," he says, bowing. "May I borrow this lovely creature?"

I blush furiously. "Oh," I say as he reaches for my hand. I pull back, not feeling entirely comfortable. "I'm sorry," I say. "I'm actually waiting for someone."

He shrugs and smiles easily. "Doesn't mean you can't have fun in the meantime. Anyone who makes you wait is a fool."

"Actually," Lambert says coolly, walking up behind the man and glaring. "She was waiting for me."

I breathe out a sigh of relief as the man looks over his shoulder and sees the prince standing there. "Uh..." he says awkwardly. Lambert reaches around the man and takes my hand, bringing it to his lips. "Right..." the man mutters, slinking off. Once he is out of sight, Lambert drops my hand.