The Course of True Love

I don't even realize it, but I end up falling asleep on the floor, the bracelet clutched in my hands, tears staining my cheeks. So, when someone lightly touches my shoulder, I jerk up suddenly. "Hm?" I blurt.

"Are you alright?" It's Prince Nagit. He looks so concerned, kneeling in front of me, his brown eyes kind.

I nod furiously. "Yeah," I say, shoving the bracelet into the cubby again. "I'm fine." I can feel my cheeks heating.

"You've been crying," he says, reaching out and touching my cheek lightly.

"No I haven't," I say, even though we both know that's not true. I swipe at my face and shake my head again. "Is it tomorrow?" I ask.

He smiles crookedly and tilts his head to the side. "It's the day of my party, if that's what you're asking," he says.

"Oh," I say, blinking at him. He seems so much older than sixteen. It's strange, really. "Happy birthday."

"No one has seen you for hours," he tells me. "Everyone was worried, but no one wanted to come in and get you. Well, Mel did, but no one would let him. So, I came because I'm so young, people forget that I'm a man sometimes."

I can't help the little giggle that escapes my lips. "I'm sorry," I say, covering my mouth. "I don't mean to laugh."

He shakes his head and his hair flops around slightly. "No worries," he tells me. "Are you hungry? All of my favorites have been prepared for breakfast."

He stands and holds his hand out to me. I accept it gratefully and climb to my feet. "Should I change?" I ask. "I've been wearing this since yesterday."

Nagit looks me over a bit and chuckles. "No," he says. "Don't wash your face either. I have a feeling Jun needs to see it."

I frown. "What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"Oh," Nagit says conversationally. "Everyone knows it was his fault you shut yourself in your room last night. No one knows why though – Jun isn't saying. So if they ask, you don't have to tell them. Just because we're princes, doesn't mean we get to know everything." He smiles again and takes my arm lightly. "Come on. You look pretty, as always, Asaka."

I smile faintly. "Thank you, Prince," I say. He shoots me a look and I sigh. "Nagit."

He nods his head in approval and together, arm in arm, we walk to the dining hall. All conversation stops the second we walk in and all eyes turn to us. I hear someone suck in a breath and then Ivan is standing there, handing me a hankie. I smile, though it's forced, and use it to wipe my face. He takes it from me and Nagit leads me to the table. Once there; however, he lets go of my arm and sits and leaves it to me to decide where I will seat myself. There is an open spot next to each prince. I sigh loudly and impolitely and walk over deliberately and sit beside Chezem.

I look over at him and smile a little easier. "Thank you," I say. "For the note."

He blushes slightly and clears his throat. "It was no trouble," he tells me. "I'm glad you're feeling better...sort of." He shoots a dark look at Jun who is avoiding looking at me altogether. Which, naturally, is making everyone wonder what happened between us.

"So," Melchiorre begins a little awkwardly, which is unlike him.

I pick up my fork and stab at the food on my plate without seeing it. "I'm not telling you, so bite your tongue or I'll cut it off," I threaten darkly.

There is a moment of silence and then Mel is clearing his throat awkwardly. "Oh my," he says.

Nagit looks at me for a moment. "I don't mean to be rude," he says. "I know you're upset about...something, but do you mind not threatening my brother?"