Chapter 13

I sat down at the table, Dad sitting across from me. I hadn’t been able to visit him for awhile. I looked over at him, unsure of what to say first. I was debating on telling him about the gang.

 “How is everything going?” He asked.

“Okay, everyone’s having a hard time. They’re still dealing with it.” He nodded. I looked up and into his eyes. They were red and tired, as if he hadn’t got sleep since he’s been here. I looked at the clothes he was wearing. I swallowed, I felt like I had a lump in my throat. I looked down and shook my head.

“What’s wrong?” He asked. He started to reach for me but then he pulled away, remembering where he was.

“This is so wrong Dad. I should be the one in that seat. I should be the one wearing those clothes. I should be the one in here. You shouldn’t have done this. I know you were just trying to protect me and do what you thought was best but this isn’t right.” I rubbed my eyes, trying to keep myself from crying.

 "Cody, It’s already done with. I know you want it to be that way but you can’t change it now. This is no place for you, even after what you did, it was a mistake.” I interrupted him.

 “Yes, but it was my mistake. I should have been the one to take the blame. I would rather be here right now anyways…” I mumble. He looks at me with confusion.

 “Why do you say that?” He asked, tilting his head to one side. I had my arms crossed around my chest. I put them on the table, reveling my tattoo, it was still red around the edges.

“What is that?” He asked. I stood up from my chair.

 “I shouldn’t be here right now, I can’t tell you. I’m sorry.” I turned and started to walk away.

“Cody, wait. Please, come sit back down.” I turned around and looked at him. I didn‘t think I could be here much longer, just seeing him like this is killing me. I walked back over to the chair and sat down.

“What does it say?” I looked up at him.

“It means ‘for life” in Italian.” A puzzled look crossed his face.

 “Why does it say that?” I looked around the room, this wasn’t exactly the greatest place to be to tell someone you were in a gang. Luckily, there were no officers close by. If I whispered, no one else could her me. I leaned across the table.

 “Everyone is the gang has one.” His face dropped.

 “Gang?” He asked worriedly. I nodded.

“You’re in a gang?” I nodded again.

 “Why?” He asked, his voice getting louder. I shushed him.

“I was forced. Some how they found out I was the one who did it.” I looked at him to make sure he knew what I was talking about. He nodded and told me to continue. “They made me take Bryan’s spot…” Words can’t described how his faced look, it was a mix of emotions.

 “I don’t know what to say Cody.” He said as he looked at me.

 “I have to go, I’ll come back soon.” I stood up. “I love you Dad.” He looked up at me.

“I love you son. Be safe”

Later that night I went over to Emma’s house. Her parents weren’t home, so we ordered pizza and hung out in her basement. Besides my family, I’ve never felt more comfortable around someone. We literally just talked, laughed, ate pizza, and kissed all night. I looked down at my clock, it was almost 11:30. I sighed.