Chapter 9: Pain Killers

I was terrified to go back to the hotel. I was hoping Officer Garcia wasn’t there anymore. I was hoping Olivia didn’t tell anyone. The jacket rubbed against my back, making it hurt worse. I hoped that no one would notice my back. I realized that I’ve was hoping for a lot of things at the moment, but feeling completely hopeless. I felt so alone, I had no home to go to. No parents to go home to. No one to talk about anything with, Bryan, my Dad, the gang. No one. I stopped walking. I didn’t want to go back to the hotel. I couldn’t. I heard the door of a store open, the bells jingling as the door hit them.

 “Cody? Hey!” I heard someone say. I turned around to see Emma. She was carrying a couple bags of groceries.

 “Hey!” I said. The bags she carried looked heavy, I wanted to help, but I couldn’t. I could feel blood running down my back, must have been from the jacket rubbing. The jacket was a light grey, I was sure the blood was visible.

 “I, uh, would help you with those bags, but I have to be getting back home…” I started to feel weak in the knees and light headed.

 I didn’t loose that much blood, did I?

 It took all of my energy to stand up. I tried my best not to show any signs of pain. Emma must have noticed.

“Cody, are you okay? You look pale” I nodded back.

 “I’m fine, I better get going. See ya!” I backed up, not wanting to turn around, in case she saw my back. Even though it was dark out, she could still see me under the street light. I pulled out my phone and dialed a number.

“Hey James, it’s Cody. I need you to meet me somewhere.”

James was know as one of the “druggies” at our school. I meet him at an empty parking garage.

“You better have a really good reason for bringing me here at ten on a Friday night.” He complained as he got out of his car.

 “I do.” He looked at me.

 “Then what is it?” I wasn’t sure if I should be doing this, but it was the only way I was going to get them.

 “I need painkillers” He laughed.

“The jock from out school needs pain killers, from me? I surprised you didn’t get them from Lucas.” I looked at him.

 “Lucas deals?” He nodded. “Never mind, I just need to know if you can get me some” He nodded again, putting a tooth pick in-between his teeth.

“Sure, but it’s going to cost ya. How much do you need?” I hadn’t really though about either of those, the money or how much I needed.

 “I’m not sure, maybe a week or two’s worth? I can always get more if I need some right?” I asked. He laughed.

“As long as you have the money. Get in your car and follow me” I hopped in my truck, wondering where he was taking me.

About 15 minutes later, we arrived at an old looking house on the out skirts of town. He pulled into the drive way and got out. He walked up to my truck, I pulled up to the curb and put it in park. I rolled down my window.

“Stay here, I’ll be right back.” I nodded. He turned and walked up to the front door. He went in. I sat there, listening to the radio. “You Had Me From Hello” by Kenny Chesney was playing. I changed it instantly, it was my Mom and Dad’s wedding song. I soon heard the door open and James reappeared. He had something in his hand.

 “Here’s two weeks worth.” I looked at the bag.

“How much?” I asked.

“Seventy dollars. About five dollars a pill.” I looked into my wallet. I only had twenty. ‘Ouch, sorry” He said as he looked into my wallet. He started to walk away. The pain in my back continued, it felt as if it was getting worse.

 “Wait, can you just wait? I can run to my house and get money. Please” He hesitated.

“Fine, but hurry” I started my truck and headed for home. I knew it was a risk, but I needed those pills, and I need money from my house in order to get those pills. I pulled up to my house. I turned the key and got out. I was hoping that there were no police there, there were no cars in front of my house. I stopped at the front door, remember back to when I came home with my bloody clothes, scared for my life. I looked up at the door, wishing Dad would open it again. I unlocked the door and opened it. It was weird, coming home to a cold and empty house. I went down stairs to my room, opening up my closet. I had some money in a jar. I opened the jar, only to find a couple of dollars. All the banks in town were closed by now. Then, I remembered the safe where Mom and Dad kept some money, it was only to be used for emergencies. I felt the pain in my back as I walked up the stairs.

 I think this can qualify as an emergency.

 I grabbed the key for the safe and headed into Mom and Dad’s room. I stopped. My heart sunk as I thought about how none of them would ever be back in this room. I sunk to the floor, tears filling my eyes.

What is happening to my life? Why did everything have to happen this way?

 My sadness turned into anger. If only Mom went in for a check up just a couple months earlier, she still would be here today. If Mom hadn’t of died, Bryan wouldn’t have made those comments about her. If he wouldn’t have made those comments about her, I wouldn’t have killed him. If I wouldn’t have killed him, Dad wouldn’t be in jail for me. If I didn’t kill him, I wouldn't be in a gang. If I wasn’t in a gang, I wouldn’t have these cuts on my back. If I didn’t have theses cuts on my back, I wouldn’t be here getting money for drugs. I wouldn’t be laying on the floor of my parents room, crying. My family would still be together, we would still be living in the home we grew up in, with all of it’s sweet memories. I managed to pull my self together and get up. I walked over to the safe, unlocked it, and grabbed one hundred dollars. I was going to need a few extra.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, it's probably one of my favorites so far.

If you liked this chapter, it would mean alot to me if you voted and commented, I would love to know what you think.

Thanks for reading!

 (This picture on thge right is James)