SPOKEN: SELFISHNESS

Start from the beginning

"What do you like to do?" He asked me.

"Not much, I come here and eat or watch comedy or both; I play video games that involve another opponent to be beside you, I read a little but not much and that's about it." I said and he raised an eyebrow.

"So you usually watch everyone else live their life?" He asked and I was taken aback. I found it as an insult and couldn't figure out why he'd say such a thing but I thought about my response.

"Explain." I said but it came out more demanding than I'd wish.

"Alright. You don't do much but you come here so you basically watch everyone else do what they want and like; why?" He asked.

I stayed quiet and resumed eating my mashed potatoes they were fluffy and creamy with a smidge too much salt drenched in gravy that kept it all warm. Eventually he got the hint that I wouldn't reply.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude it's just..." He didn't know what word to use to finish his statement or didn't want to be rude.

"It's fine." I whispered softly feeling empty and small.

Nicholas's phone rung and he immediately answered it and whispered into it for a few minutes and then hung up.

"Check!" Nicholas said and a waiter brought one over with both of ours on it.

"I have to go but can I get your number before I do?" He asked with his phone out stretched to me and I took it. I put in my number as he looked for his wallet and handed it back. He smiled at me before dropping his money on the bill.

"Hey um Orchid." He said and I raised my eyes up into his soft green ones since he was now standing up.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Wanna have lunch tomorrow afternoon?" He asked me.

"Same place around two?" I asked and he smiled.

"See you then." He said and I nodded.

"See you then." I replied and he flashed me a smile before running out. I picked up the bill and looked at how much I owed and noticed he had paid for mine too and I rolled my eyes. The waiter came back over and took the bill.

"No tip?" He asked.

"My bad." I said and pulled a ten from my pocket and handed it to him, he took it with a smile and walked off.

"People these days." I said with an eye roll as I got up with my book and went home.

________________________

"ORCHID!?" My parents yelled once I entered the house.

"Hey!" I called to them as I kicked off my sandals and made my way to the dining room table to see dinner spread out and my parents at the table.

"You've been gone later than usual." Mother pointed out.

"I made a friend." I said as I put my phone out on the table like they did. Our phones were on vibrate just in case of an emergency and to make sure we, kids weren't messing with them during meals.

"Oh that's nice." Mother said and I nodded.

"Why don't you tell us about your day?" Dad said and I nodded. I cleared my throat before beginning as mother made me a plate of corn, rice and baked chicken.

"I went to therapy and found out about boarding school." I began and their eyes widened, they must've forgotten about it.

"Don't worry, I'm not mad." I reassured and they sighed leaving a smile on their faces.

"After our session I made my way to the diner and started reading with my mashed potatoes but a boy stood there and I asked him if he needed something, he asked to sit with me and I let him then we talked and then I came home a while after." I said and they nodded.

"How wonderful, too bad you're leaving." Mother said and I shrugged.

"Long distance friend ship." I said and she smiled.

We became pretty quiet for a bit, probably because my parents either felt guilty or thought I was lying. 

"Where's Jane?" I asked them.

"Sleepover." Dad answered.

"Does she know I'm leaving?" I asked them.

"No and we would like it to stay that way." My parents said and I was confused.

"Why?" I asked.

"You know Jane, she's defensive and likes to protect you if she doesn't know it would be less of a fight." Mother answered.

"So you don't want me to tell Jane so it won't be hard on you guys?" I asked them and they nodded.

"YOU'RE SO SELFISH! I'm leaving and you are making everything about you! I'M LEAVING BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WILL BE EASIER FOR ALL OF US INCLUDING YOU, YOU COULDN'T EVEN TELL ME! YOU HAD MY THERAPIST THAT I DON'T EVEN NEED TO TELL ME AND NOW YOU DON'T WANT JANE TO KNOW BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH IT!?" I yelled.

"Calm down Orchid." Mother said.

"NO! IF YOU DIDN'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS THEN YOU SHOULD'VE NEVER HAD KIDS! YOU SHOULDN'T ANYWAY! YOU CAN'T EVEN HANDLE YOURSELVES WITH YOUR PATHETIC TEENAGE SELVES! YOU WILL NEVER BE A GOOD PARENT! EVER!" I yelled and took my phone and ran out the house and drove off. 

The last thing I remembered were their heated cheeks and dropped jaws.