Chapter 6

The bed was soft, and the room was warm, and it smelled like fresh laundry.
I opened my eyes to find myself in a familiar dorm, but not Jennika's dorm, I felt someone's hand lightly around my waist, I carefully turned around to come face to face with Colton.
I quickly checked under the covers to make sure that we were both wearing clothes, which thankfully we were.
I let out a sigh and tried to recall what happened last night.
As the memories came back to me I remembered that Jennika went home with some dude. I spotted my wig and purse lying on the bean bag chair, I slowly and carefully moved Colton's arm off me and got out of the bed without disturbing his sleep.
I checked my phone and saw that I only had a few texts, all from Jennika and one missed call from an unknown number.
Jennika's texts were all from last night saying how she would probably get to the dorm early in the morning.
I called her to see if she'd be up, as it was almost 1pm, but the phone didn't even ring, it went straight to voice mail.
What the heck? I thought.
The unknown number didn't seem fimilar, but it also didn't seem like a paparazzi number, those usually had weird area codes, this number was definitely calling from LA. Maybe Jennika's phone died and she was calling from someone else's. I decided to call back the unknown number.
The receiver picked up on the second ring,
"Ronald Regan UCLA Medical Center, this is Janet, how may I help you today?"
I almost dropped my phone, no they probably got the wrong number.
"Hi, I'm Viveya Dalton, I got a call from this number late last night." I say, fully aware that I was stuttering.
"Oh yes, we called earlier, but weren't sure if we had gotten the correct number, we have your friend Jennika Hartson at our Coma Facility, we would like you to come down as soon as possible and meet with some offical personal for some very important news."
"O-okay," I stutter out after a ten second silence.
"Thank you, Miss Dalton," said the friendly voice and hung up.
I couldn't belive what I just heard, coma. I was shocked and for a few minutes sat motionless on the floor with my phone in my hands waiting for it to ring and have it be just another stupid prank that Jennika liked to pull.
I heard Colton sigh and I first I thought it was in his sleep, but he had pulled back the covers and was sitting up rubbing his eyes.
"Hey," he said smiling, but the second he met my eyes his smile faded, "What's wrong?"
"My friend, Jennika, she's at the hospital." I say, and finally it hit me, the reality that she's in the hospital.
"What happened?" He asked getting out of the bed and sitting down on the floor next to me.
"I don't know, they want me go to the hospital and I guess they're going to tell me." I say holding back every ounce of tears.
"If you want I can come with you," he said.
"Only if you want, I feel like I've already asked too much from you." I smile sadly at him.
"Don't be ridiculous, offering my bed to a beautiful girl like you is a privilege." He said placing his hand over mine.
If we weren't in this situation right now I would of kissed him, although I've had no experience kissing boys, so that would of been interesting.
"How about you freshen up, and I'll buy us some quick breakfast?" He asked as he stood up and offered his hand.
"Okay." I say as he pulls me up.

There was a bathroom a few rooms down and thankfully nobody was there. I took some toilet paper and wiped away any smeared makeup, and I was thankful that I brought with me basic touch up stuff, such as some setting powered and mascara. I brushed out my hair with a little comb that I found in my purse and then rinsed my mouth and popped a breath mint.
When I got back to the room Colton was holding two coffee's and some breakfast burritos that were sold in the caffetiria, that was conveniently across the street from the boy's dorms.
The burrito and coffee smelled amazing and my stomach growled, and I hoped Colton didn't hear it.
It was about a 5 minute drive to the hospital so we ate in Colton's dorm quickly. The food was surprisingly really good.
I let Colton drive as I was sure he knew his way around campus much better than I did.
Before I knew it we were there.
We walked in and were asked to sign in and we got little badges.
The front desk assistant told us to go up to floor 3, as that was where most coma patients were held.
In the elevator, Colton took my hand and squeezed it gently.
"It's gonna be okay," he whispered softly.
I nodded but didn't dare look at him, because I knew I would break, and cry.
When we reached the 3rd floor, there was another receptionist that asked us for our names and who we were visiting, I recognized her voice from the conversation I had with her earlier on the phone.
"There is a police representitive and a doctor that will come and talk to you in a short while, please have a seat." She said as she pointed to the direction of the waiting room, which consisted of 4 brown chairs, and a single glass coffee table with a few magazines on it that were isssued several months ago.
We sat down and Colton took my hand and held it securely.
I was surprised by how much I was trusting him, and I was also suprised by how simply amazing he treated me, as if I wasn't some billionaire daughter.
We didn't have to wait long until two men came into the waiting room, one was dressed in a police uniform, and the other in a doctor's smock.
"Viveya Dolton, my name is Dr. Anders and this is Detective Carter," the doctor shakes hands with both me and Colton and the detective nods in our way. The two men sit down on the chairs across from us.
"Viveya Dalton, we are sorry to say that your friend has gotten into a serious accident that has left her in coma, Detective Carter will tell you about the accident, and I will give her her medical condition," said the doctor leaning back into his chair.
"Viveya, as Dr. Anders mentioned, Jennika got into a serious car accident at approximately 3:40 am this morning, there were four people in the car, two female and two males. The driver of the car, Jake Heforn, was driving under the influence of several drugs and alcohol and he drove on the opposite side of the highway and crashed into a semi truck. The two males and one female, died on impact, but Jennika was knocked unconscious. The driver of the semi truck survived and is currently being treated for a minor concussion. Police arrived at the scene at around 4am, if they wouldn't gotten there any later, your friend would of been dead. " The detective looked up from his notes and put them back into the folder.
"Any questions?" He asked.
"How did Jennika manage to survive?" I asked.
"Your friend was lucky enough to have been in the backseat and she protected herself by using the seat in front of her, and of course she was the only one in the car wearing a seatbelt, so in a sense the seatbelt saved her life, any other questions?"
I shook my head no.
"Well if you don't have any more questions for Detective Carter, I will tell you about Jennika's current medical state," said the doctor, I nodded my head and he continued.
"Jennika is lucky to be alive after such a tremendous accident, but the bad news is, that if she ever wakes up from coma, she'll never be the same again. Jennika seriously damaged the parts of her brain that affects her memory, her ability to talk and think logically, and her ability to move. If Jennika ever wakes up, she won't remember anything, nor will she be able to talk or understand anything you're saying, she will also be completely paralyzed for the rest of her life. We ran an analysis on how long she should stay unconscious and it should be a few weeks. She is currently on life support and on a feeding tube. If Jennika ever recovers she will have to spend the rest of her life at a medical facility where she will get professional care," the doctor looked out the window and then back at me and had a sad expression on his face, "the chances of Jennika recovering are slim, she's barley holding on, and if she recovers she'll never be the same. We have contacted her parents and relatives, and they said that the decision whether or not she stays on life support is your choice."
I looked up at the doctor horrified, I knew Jennika had a terrible relationship with everyone in her family, but I was shocked that they didn't even care about their own blood. How could I even make that decision.
As if the doctor read my mind he said, "because you and Jennika are both over eighteen, you are legally allowed to have this type of power, and since Jennika moved away, and is no longer part of her family fundings."
"Can I see her?" I ask softley.
"Of course," said the doctor, "right this way."
I stood up and followed the doctor, he led me into a small hallway and we entered a room that was dimly lit and there lay my beautiful best friend. The room was filled with all types of machines beeping and making all types of sounds, I was surprised that all this noise couldn't wake her up.
As I came closer I could already see the deformation taking over Jennika's face.
Her body was rejecting her.
I sat down in the chair next to her bed, and the doctor walked out saying that he would give me some privacy.
I took Jennika's hand, and it was colder than ever, but the heart rate monitor assured me that Jennika was still alive.
"Why? Why did this have to happen to you?" I say, and with that I began to cry. For a few minutes I cried silently and the tears streamed down my cheeks and unto Jennika's bed. After crying until nothing else would come out, I wiped my tears and looked at Jennika again. Her face and arms were covered in bruises and scratches. I stood up and moved her hair out of her face, and for some reason I expected her to open her eyes and smile and say something funny that would make us both laugh until our stomach's hurt. But she didn't, she remained still.
I walked out of the room and back into the waiting room, where everyone was sitting, the doctor and detective were whispering about something and Colton was dazing off.
"Have you made a decision, Viveya?" Asked the doctor.
"N-not yet," I managed to spit out.
The doctor nodded his head to show his understanding.
"Detective Carter and I both need you to sign and fill out a few forms," said Dr. Anders as he handed me a clip board with about ten pages on it.
I sigh and sit down and fill them out. It didn't take long as all it asked for were signitures.
I give the clip board back to Dr. Anders. Then he and the detective both offer their condolences and shake my hand goodbye.
Colton takes my hand once more and we go back to his dorm. The ride back to the dorm was silent and I didn't say a thing, nor did he. I guess neither of us knew what to say.
When we got back to his dorm, Colton announced he was going to go shower, and he left me alone.
I opened the small window in the room and sat on the ledge, it was hot outside but cool inside.
And for a while I sat there on the window ledge looking down at people playing Frisbee and carrying boxes. As I looked out at these students I realized that Jennika will never ever attend the school of her dreams, nor will she be able to ever live again.