20.2 Assault

They continued talking for much of the afternoon, with Lady Ellen, Gregory, and Edwin joining them in conversation. Towards the end of the day, the terrain became rougher, and hillier. Frederick called out, "Hey! Look there!" They looked ahead and in the distance saw a vast collection of small wooden shanties or huts surrounding a large building in the center, made of stone or brick. They hid themselves behind a low hill to avoid searching eyes, and huddled to discuss their approach.

   Arturo spoke, "We should wait until dusk, not an hour hence, and approach from the south where the land provides more cover."

   "Agreed," said Gregory, and the master healer and Lady Ellen both nodded.

   The master healer said, "Once there, and the way inside discovered, we must find the Lord Shiavo quickly. If we can disable him either physically or in rohva duel, perhaps we can also gain some control over the drones. Regardless, any drone we encounter should be disabled and set free if possible, taking into account any present risk, saving any lethal force only for Shiavo and any guarding him, and even that is to be avoided-We want him alive so as to question him concerning his motives, and perhaps we may discover the location of our brother, Priam."

   They concluded their plans, and settled in to wait for darkness. They lay about the hillside, keeping their heads down to avoid detection. Aeden found himself lying by the master healer, and a thought struck him. "Master, I had one more question for you."

   "Very well Aeden. You are entitled."

   "How did you discover your true nature?"

   A flash of joy passed over the man's face, and he eagerly started the tale, but with reverence. "I was a young man. My father was a scholar of the Chronicles, and had taught me at his feet my whole life. While in study with him, I became sure there was something more than this physical existence, that the Chronicles were more than just allegory or symbol. And I had heard stories-legends, myths, I don't know, about strange ruins in the wilderness suggesting past greatness, an age of technology and wonders, free from death and sorrow. I thought, how could a society be great, and lose itself? Why would we be great in the past, and yet beset with pain and sorrow and disease now? So I set my mind to discover the truth. I traveled widely, visiting ruins and seeking out seers. After years, none of this searching yielded any truth to me, and I returned to Ramath depressed and dejected. One day, I happened to read a well known passage in the Chronicles. It said, And if any of you seek truth, if the goal eludes you, if your searching and pondering lead to walls of stone, seek me out, and ye shall find. Ask me, face to face on the mountaintop, and I will tell. So, not willing to go climb a mountain to seek out the Creator, I went on a walk outside Ramath, and came to the very stand of trees that you and the other youth spend so much time in. I raised my voice to the Creator, and then, somehow, I knew."

   "What do you mean, you knew?"

   "It just came to me. It's like I heard a voice within me, and I followed it, reaching back within myself and entering my mind. I saw my wall there, blinking and flashing with lights and memories. A voice-I do not know if it was audible or even the thought voice we speak in each other's minds-told me that the wall was me, that it was my mind, but in the same sentiment, I felt I was told that it was not all of me. I didn't understand, and I still don't. But that is my story. From then, I met Clara, and we told a few others we deemed were prepared. The rest is history."

   When the sun fell behind the western hills, they moved forward once more, advancing behind a succession of hills, avoiding direct line of sight with the compound. At last they came to the final hill before the vast estate, and, lying down atop it, made their final plans.

   "Diana, what do you see?" asked the master healer. Darkness having fallen, the night was open only to Diana's eyes, who squinted and looked here and there.

   "There are none about. There are but two guards at the entrance to the central building. Several of the outbuildings appear occupied, but there is no coming and going between them. There is a portico on the second floor looking out on the approach to the building, and there are two guards visible there as well."

   The master healer looked at Stuart and master Arturo, "Do you think you can jump up to that second floor and haul a few others up with rope?"

   Arturo heaved his chest, "Well I'm getting up in years ... I may be able to. This boy here should have no problem, though." He said, motioning to the rotund boy. He continued, "We will disable the upper two guards, if two others will handle the lower two guards."

   Darla said, "Betha and I can take them."

   Aeden spoke up, "Why don't we just mind blast all of them?" They all stared at him.

   Edwin responded, "We don't want to alert any inside to our presence. We can surely blast the guards in front, and many in the interior will also fall, but many are bound to be in the rear of the building and they will remain conscious, and alerted to our presence."

   "Oh." Aeden said.

   "What do I get to do?" said Frederick.

   "Look pretty," said Darla, pinching his nipple.

   The master healer nodded, "It's settled then. The rest of us will wait behind one of the outbuildings until you four have mastery of the front entryway. We will then join you, and split up, half taking the second floor entrance and the other half entering by the front door. Remember: first priority, find the warlord and disable or kill him. All else can wait." The healer finished, and the four in the vanguard prepared themselves. They all left their packs and extra belongings in some bushes at the base of the hill.

   Aeden strapped his armor firmly to his body, tightening the belts and fasteners, ensuring his sheathes were properly positioned on his back, the prize sword from Elbeth rising over his left shoulder, and the shopkeeper's sword poking out above his right. Stuart produced two lengths of rope from his pack, and tied them to his belt. Betha and Darla drew their swords and stretched their arms, preparing for battle. When all was ready, the four left the hillside, keeping low to the ground until they reached the closest outbuilding. They crept along, running from building to building, until at last only a stretch of bare earth thirty yards wide separated them from the entrance.

   Back on the hill, Diana whispered, "Oh no."

   "What?" said Gregory.

   She shook her head. "There are now ten guards on the second floor portico."

   The master healer snapped his head around at the remaining boys, "Frederick, Aeden, how high can you jump?"

   Without a word more, the two boys bolted to catch up with the others.