17.2 Clarity

Priam paced before his wall, not looking at Yoruth. "You speak truth. I have often thought these things, but have not dared to tell anyone. As good a friend as he is, I have often thought of Aeden and how everything just ... happens, for him. But really, what can be done about it? I don't want to strip him of anything. Maybe just humbled a bit." He conceded.

   Yoruth came to him and placed his hand on his shoulder. "Priam. We can do something. I am doing something. The world will change. It has been prophesied, and the times of change are upon us. And you will be instrumental in that change and will usher in a better world. A fairer world. A prosperous, peaceful world. You shall be as Ilien the fair."

   Priam nodded. "Very well. What do I need to do? And mind you, do not ask me to betray my friends or try to stop their mission. I won't do it. I want the warlord Shiavo dead. He killed Aeden's family, and a lot of good people in Elbeth-most of whom were forced to fight for the nobility anyway."

   Yoruth removed his hand on the boy's shoulder, and pointed to the top of Priam's wall. "Do you see that? Those symbols above the glass screens?"

   Priam looked up at the strange markings:

  MODELO DOS

   "What do they mean?"

   "Like I said, we don't know for sure, but it indicates that you are a rohva of the second kind. Priam," he said, turning to the boy, "I would never ask you to betray your friends. Frankly, they are on an honorable mission, and I will not attempt to stop them. But first, there is one thing that we need above all else. We need that mechanical toy that the master healer carries with him, and second, we need to find the three that remain lost. You can help me obtain the one possessed by the master healer, and later we can ponder on the location of the others. I have some ideas on those. Oh, I suppose you realize also that we will need the one that your father holds for the lord of Elbeth."

   Priam thought hard. "Why do we need those toys?"

   Yoruth replied, "I believe them to be part of the key to fully understanding our nature. There are twelve of them, and twelve rohva kinds. I will reveal more to you when I know more, and when you prove yourself, for now I just have a few hunches. But having all of them I hope will confirm my thoughts-my hunches are rarely incorrect, you see." He said with a wink.

   "Very well then, I believe I can easily convince my father to let me see his collection, though with an occupying army in Elbeth, that might not happen for awhile ...."

   Yoruth waved his hand in dismissal, "Do not worry, your friends will be successful, no doubt. The army will be gone within a month or two. What about the master healer's. Will you retrieve it for me?"

   Priam paused, and slowly nodded, "I think I can. Do we need it right away, or can it wait?"

   "It cannot wait, my friend. The times of trial are upon us and I do not know how quickly events may proceed. Let us err on the side of speed."

   "Well then, I suppose if I can find the company, I can sneak into the master healer's things when he's not looking. The others will wonder where I have been, though, and it might be a little suspicious if I tell them I've been held captive by an associate of the warlord and he just let me go."

   "Very astute, my young friend. Truly you are wise beyond your years. I propose this then, if you concur. Return to your company, with a small band of the warlord's soldiers as your hidden backup. Enter the camp as with the stone face of one of those soldiers that the warlord has in his control-they will then suspect you are also under his control. Before they can react, blast them with your rohva soul shock power. When they are unconscious, take the artifact and return to me. Later, when they assault the warlord in his stronghold, when they win, you can approach them and profusely thank them for freeing you from bondage."

   Priam cautiously stroked his chin, "It sounds possible. I don't really know how to control that power, though."

   Yoruth smiled. "Fear not, my son. I can show you. With your skills, you will be a master of it within an hour, for you are one who sees clearly the truth before him. Come, let us return to the world." Priam saw the man disappear, and he followed. Still strapped to the table, he felt someone untie his bonds. He got up and took off his blindfold. He opened his eyes and saw his captor, whose hand rested on the head of the companion. He received his instruction, and after more discussion and counsel, saw clearly.