All along the Watchtower

I didn't remember falling asleep. We had been sitting by the fire, drying out our wet clothes.

Levi had put his arm around me, because a breeze had started blowing, and it made my wet clothes colder. I snuggled up closer to him, and laid my head in the crook of his neck. He smelled of soap and the outdoors.

I woke up at some point in the night. I was surprised to find my head on Levi's bare chest, and his arm around my waist. His lips were slightly parted, and he snored lightly. His body was relaxed, his face youthful and peaceful in sleep. It was the most beautiful thing that I've ever woken up to see. Farlan was sitting on a tree branch, keeping lookout. He gazed out over the dark horizon, swinging his right leg back and forth as he looked at the stars.

I carefully removed myself from his arms. He shifted in his sleep, curling up into a little ball. I almost regretted getting up when I heard him sigh.

"Farlan," I called out softly. "Get some sleep. I have watch from here."

"What? You barely slept an hour. Don't you girls need your beauty sleep?"

"We need you to be as alert as we are come morning."

"Really, I'm fine." Yawn. "Get back to sleep, Rukia."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "You get to sleep. I will be fine."

"If ya say so." He climbed down.

I climbed up to the lookout, and I leaned against the tree once I sat on the branch. The stars were twinkling brightly, not a single cloud in the sky. The full moon was big and bright. I would have loved to share this moment with Levi. I felt the branch shake with added weight.

Think of the Devil, and he shall appear.

"I figured two lookouts are better than one," he said drowsily.

All I saw was loveliness. He hadn't bothered to put on his now dry shirt, and his hair was all messed up.

I scooted down the branch to make room for him.

He took my previous spot, and dragged me to where I was sitting in front of him. I leaned back against him, resting the back of my head against his collarbone. He draped his arms around me, grabbing my hands, and nuzzled my neck.

"You woke up without me," he complained. "I got lonely."

My skin was covered in goosebumps. It wasn't uncomfortable. I didn't want him to stop.

He trailed openmouthed kisses down to my shoulder. I bit my lip to keep from sighing.

"I will have to do that more often."

"But you made a nice blanket," he joked.

I leaned my head back to look up at him and I grinned. "You made a nice pillow, but you're kinda lumpy."

Leaning down over me, he scowled.

"Lumpy? You weren't complaining any before you fell asleep." He pressed his lips against mine.

"We're supposed to be keeping watch. You're distracting me."

"You're distracting me. I can't keep my hands to myself."

"Sounds like a personal problem," I taunted.

"Keep taunting me, and I'll give you a personal problem."

I saw someone on horseback on the ground below us. I gasped. "I already have one."

Erwin glared, and rode away.

Oh, God. He must think that Levi and I went behind his back...

I pushed Levi's arms off of me, and scrambled down the tree. I ran in his horse's path.

"Erwin! Erwin, wait! It isn't what it looks like!"

He pulled back on the horse's reins. "What should it look like?I thought you said there wasn't another man involved!"

I ran to his side and grabbed his arm.

"I was faithful to you! Everything that happened between Levi and I- it happened after I declined your proposal! I didn't think that I had feelings for him until yesterday! Don't make him a third party!"

Some time in this arguing, Levi had gotten down from his post. He put his arms around me protectively.

"Is there a problem, Commander Smith?"

"There's no problem, cadet. I must tell the others that I found you."

As Erwin passed Levi and I, I could feel the heavy tension between the two men as they glared at each other.

I turned around in Levi's arms. He cradled my head against his bare chest.

"I swear, if you have any problems out of him, let me know. No one tarnishes my girlfriend's reputation."

" I don't exactly remember you asking me out," I teased. "He's having a hard time getting over the breakup."

"He'd better, and quick. Oh, by the way? I'll ask you to be my girlfriend just for the sake to say that I asked."

He tipped my chin up, and it seemed to take him a million years to press his lips against mine.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked flatly.

"Awwwww!!! You guys are just adorable! Levi,you just have to get married to her!" Isabelle squealed.

Startled, we jumped apart.

Levi's face fell.

"God, Isabelle! Warn someone next time before you yell out of the blue! When did you wake up?"

"Well, you know me, I'm always up early in the morning!"

The sun started to rise as she said this. The sky was painted beautiful pink, purple, orange, and gold colors. Birds in the treetops started chirping.

Levi snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to his side.

"Beautiful," he whispered into my ear.

I batted my eyelashes at him.

"Thank you."

He smirked, then kissed my temple, dragging me closer to his side.

"Tch, I was talking about the sunrise, brat."