He had always known Callie had a temper and a stubborn streak a mile wide but he hadn't expected it to kick in the day after they got married.

888

Grayson caught up with James later that evening as he walked out of the mercantile.

"James, I need your help with something tonight." Grayson said. James scratched at his red beard and nodded.

"What do you need?"

"I plan on stealing Raymond Collier's safe tonight and I need somebody standing guard out front." Grayson replied in a calm voice as if the two men were merely discussing the weather.

"Have you lost your mind!" James demanded wide-eyed. Grayson shook his head.

"I don't think so." he said. Grayson was happy that James and he were back to their old friendship. James no longer acted like he was afraid Grayson would kill him every time he opened his mouth.

"Why are you stealing his safe?"

"Because he won't let Callie see her fathers will and I think it's in that safe." Grayson replied as if this should be obvious.

"So you're going to break the law for Callie." James asked shaking his head.

"Yeah." Grayson replied with a shrug. "Look I don't need you to do any actual stealing, just keep an eye out by the front door and I'm going to get Peter to watch at the back."

"Does Callie know about this?" James asked leaning against his wagon full of supplies. Grayson shook his head.

"No." he said quickly. "She knows I have something in mind but I didn't tell her what."

"I'll bet that didn't go over well did it?" James asked with a grin. Grayson shook his head.

"No, it didn't go well at all. But she'll forgive me." James sighed.

"You're my best friend, Grayson. You know I'll have your back. What time are you doing this?"

"I was thinking about just after midnight." James coughed and glared up at him.

"How the hell am I supposed to explain to Lauren what I'm doing when I sneak out of the house in the middle of the night?" he demanded.

"I don't know. Just don't let her catch you." Grayson replied. James was mumbling under his breath as he climbed up in the wagon.

"I'll help you, Grayson, but if she catches me I'm sending her your way." Grayson laughed.

"I can handle Lauren." he promised and then he patted James's horse on the backside and sent him on his way.

Grayson made his way to the blacksmiths shop where Peter was currently pounding out a horseshoe. Grayson stood with his arms crossed in the doorway until Peter looked up and noticed him.

"For chrissakes, Grayson, you scared the hell out of me!" Peter exclaimed as he sat down his hammer. "What are you doing here?"

"I need your help tonight." Grayson replied. Peter chuckled.

"Is Callie wearing you out? You need me to take over for a night?" he asked with a wink. Grayson took a step forward as he cracked his knuckles and Peter quickly picked his hammer back up.

"I've got a hammer." he stated. Grayson smiled and grabbed a large metal rake off the wall.

"You still feel safe with that hammer?" he asked as he tapped the handle of the rake against his hand. Peter let out a loud laugh.

"You're alright, Grayson. You've changed a lot." he said as he sat his hammer back down. Grayson sat the rake down as well and nodded.

"So have you." he replied.