"Caspar..." Dan says quietly.

"I've been told he's in the next room," his mother says.

"I'm just glad you're okay mum," Dan whispers.

"I'll be a mother now Dan, I promise," she says, pulling Dan into a hug.

Dan pulls away gently, so he won't cause her any more pain. He smiles softly at his mother.

"That's all I want."

***

When his mother closes her eyes to rest, Dan stands up.

He walks out, coming face to face with Louise. He freezes, his eyes widening.

"What are you doing here?" She asks sharply, tears in her eyes, "the person in that room is responsible for Caspar getting hit! Why the hell are you in there anyway?"

Dan feels hatred grow inside of him, curling in his gut and it's an unpleasant feeling. He also feels tears prick his eyes as sadness also takes over. He glares at Louise, who glares back.

"Why were you about to go into the room?" Dan asks, struggling to keep his voice steady.

"I was going to go see who the hell was responsible for this accident," Louis snaps.

"Is Caspar okay?"

"Yes."

"Then why the hell are you so upset? He'll get better quickly."

"That's not the point. The point is that it never would've happened if that person in there had been looking where they were going!" Louise says accusingly.

"You don't even know the full story!" Dan snaps back to her.

"Why are you even in that room Dan? I didn't think you cared about anything."

"Of course you don't."

"What's going on out here- Dan?" Phil asks, his eyes widening when he sees him.

"Please tell your friend here to stop accusing and assuming things," Dan snaps angrily.

"What are you doing here Dan?" Phil asks gently, his blue eyes curious and gentle, like they always are.

"My mother was hit," Dan says softly.

"Oh really? Well that explains a lot! Howells must cause damage to everyone!" Louise snaps.

"What the hell is wrong with you Louise?" Phil asks angrily, turning to her.

"Caspar is hurt!" Louise says, "and he could've been fine if his mother had looked where she was going."

"You just freaking assume things don't you?! She purposely ran in front of that car! She wanted to end her life! So next time, know shit before you speak it!" Dan yells angrily, "I'm so fucking done."

Dan turns and walks away, heading towards the lift. He needs to get out of here. He needs to go somewhere alone, he needs to scream, to cry, to do something to slow his mind.

He needs a release from himself.

***

phil

Phil is mad, to say the least.

Louise didn't know about Dan's mother, but he'd heard what she'd said, and although she was overcome with worry and grief, he can't forget her words.

"Phil I'm sorry, I didn't know-" Louise stammers, holding onto his arm.

"Knowing that shouldn't have made a difference on what you said to him," Phil says, turning away.