He pulled the trigger on the mind control device. One solitary white spark shot out and then nothing happened. The police officer ran up with a stun gun and proceeded to shock Dr. Wentworth senseless. His entire body shook around spastically before he finally collapsed on the floor. Drool dripped involuntarily from his mouth. The police officer slapped a pair of handcuffs around his wrists and dragged him outside to his car. From there he hauled the unconscious Dr. Wentworth off to the county jail.

*

The effects of the shrinking ray wore off as Dr. Octavius, Max, and Sarah emerged from the door back into the alleyway. They instantly popped back to their regular sizes. The door also grew big enough that they could pass through it at their present size.

"Oh there you guys are," Bobby said. "How'd it go in there?"

"Excellent, thanks to me," Max said. "Look, I single-handedly found something that I believe belongs to you." He whipped out the engagement ring.

"My ring!" Bobby shouted as he grabbed it eagerly from Max's hand.

"I do believe you're now in my debt, Bobby my friend. We'll discuss the fuller terms later but you can start paying off what you owe me by buying me a couple rounds of drinks." 

 "Oh sure," Bobby said. "That's the least I can do. I owe you big time, buddy." He wrapped Max in a big bear hug.

"Hey now, there's no need for that," Max said as he spat out polar bear hair. "Your debt shall be paid in liquor, not affection."

"Gosh, I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. I'm just so happy."

"Don't listen to him Bobby," Sarah said. "You don't owe him anything. I actually found your ring. It was my pleasure. He just snatched it out of my hand and tried to take credit for finding it."

"I did find it," Max sniffed. "Sure, it happened to be in your hand at the time, but you were so busy looking for your purse you didn't even know what you had."

"Is there somewhere I can take you guys?" Bobby asked. "On the house, of course."

"Actually we'll need to find a location where we can remain hidden and keep an eye on this alley," Dr. Octavius said. "We need to find out who comes here to investigate. I was able to put together a pretty nifty little trap using the leftover components of the machine. It should incapacitate whoever trips it, but I want to remain close by in case it doesn't work."

"I'm sure we can find a good spot to camp out and keep the alley in view," Bobby said.

"Is it just me or does anyone else hear a thumping sound?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah, we've been hearing that the entire time we've been waiting for you," Esther said. "It seems to be coming from the opposite wall."

Dr. Octavius placed his ear to the wall. "Something's there, all right. Let's have a look and see what it is, shall we?" He peeled the door off the wall behind them and placed it on the wall where the thumping noise was coming from. He opened the door and a little brown fur ball came tumbling out.

"Oh thank heavens. I thought I was going to be trapped in there forever."

"Michelangelo?" Dr. Octavius asked.

"Oh hey there, Doc," Michelangelo said. "I never thought I'd say this, but it's good to see you. It's quite the change of pace you letting me out of a prison instead of sticking me in a cage, huh?"

"Now, now," Dr. Octavius said. "You know those days are behind us now. I thought we were on good terms."

"We are, we are," Michelangelo said. He noticed Esther for the first time standing by Bobby's leg. "Oh hey there, toots. Long time no see. You're looking good."

"Take a hike, creep," Esther said as she put her beak up in the air.

"Hey, I'm sorry it didn't work out between us, but we'll always have the lab, right?" He turned back to Dr. Octavius. "Thanks again for getting me out of there. I owe you one. If you ever need anything, just ask for me at Squinch's saloon. I'd better be going now. I've been away from my work for too long." He sauntered down the alleyway and disappeared around the corner.

Dr. Octavius studied the space behind the door that Michelangelo had emerged from. "I do believe I've located a suitable hiding place. Everybody in. We'll leave the door open a crack and keep a lookout. I have a hunch we won't be waiting very long."