Losing My Mind

Crap crap crap crap. I chanted as I ran. What kind of idiot runs from werewolves when it's their favorite game? Oh right, me. Not only am I running from my mate and supposed mate, both of whom are the more powerful kind of werewolf, but I'm running around as a juicy, yummy stag. You know when Bambi first walks, and his legs are shaky? Imagine him running at full speed with his life depending on it. It's awful, so don't try this at home.

I forced myself to try and calm down, and the second I felt a hot breath on my heels, I spun and transformed back into my wolf form. Thank. God.

'You're Lacey Danes?' Garret's white and grey wolf stared at me incredulously.

'Yes?' It sounded more like a question, but I wasn't sure how he would react.

'But you're my mate! And you're... A stag shifter? Do those even exist?'

'They do now.' I huffed. 'And it's not exactly like I signed up for this, jerk. I'm not even supposed to be a werewolf yet!'

His eyes just kept getting wider with every word I said... Or thought. 'Stop looking at me like that! You don't think I know I'm a freak?!'

'Y-you called me a jerk!'

If I had hands, I would've face palmed. 'I'm some hybrid shifter that shifted before my birthday, your sworn enemy and your mate, and you only care that I called you a mean name?'

'Nobody has ever... Disrespected me before.'

'Nice to meet you, I'm Lacey Danes, and you can leave your complaints with my secretary, Paul.' I stated sarcastically before turning to leave.

'Wait! It's not a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it... Where are you going? Stop!' He was following me to my house, and I wasn't sure why he was upset. Before I could question him, he explained, 'I can't be in this territory alone. It's dangerous.'

A growl more dangerous than any I had heard before ripped through my throat. 'Anybody that even thinks about touching you has to go through me.' My eyes flashed golden as I glanced around. Whoa. Was that what it felt like to be defensive over a mate? I didn't even think about my words as I was saying them. My wolf purred happily as I defended my mate, but I ignored her and continued the walk to my house with Garret trailing behind.

I wonder what this meant for me. Would I go on to be alpha of the Danes pack, or would I become the Luna of the Torques pack? Would Garret even have me as a mate? Why did Jack lie to me? Would my pack still welcome me? What would my father do?

A scoff sounded next to me, and I looked at Garret questioningly.

'Well, we could join the packs, so you are more comfortable. A Luna IS an Alpha, and of course I'll have you as my mate. It's our gift from the fates. I don't know what 'Jack' lied about, but I'll beat him up if you'd like, and I assure you that your pack is anxiously awaiting you. Your father would accept all of this and he would welcome me as much as he would hate to let his little girl go. Mates are special, and the once-in-a-life kind of special. You're father was a respectable man, he was understanding. I'm sure he would want whatever you want.'

Holy. Crap. I've got to learn how to block my thoughts from people. This is getting ridiculous. His words almost brought me to tears, but then I thought twice before reacting. He speaks so highly of my father, but he didn't think highly enough of him to let him live. I was about to confront him when I heard voices in my home.

"-two rogues on our territory! You are responsible for her safety! What if she is attacked? This is your fault, Jack!"

Was that... Jack's father? The current Alpha of my pack?

'Close your eyes,' I thought to Garret before shifting to my human form and swinging onto my balcony like I had just recently learned. I put on a t-shirt and shorts seconds before Garret swung up after me. Expecting this, I tossed him a pair of my father's old sweat pants that I wear from time to time. He slipped them on and stared at me.

His eyes didn't roam my figure or take in my 'luscious curves' like in the books. He stared straight into my eyes as if seeing the sun for the very first time.

Without a word, I grabbed his hand to drag him to the kitchen with me. The second I touched him, tingles shot down my arm and throughout my body. I shuddered in awe at the feeling. He smiled at me gently, and the feeling increased tenfold. J tentatively returned the smile and pulled him down the stairs.

"Do you smell that? That smells like-"

"Hello, sir." I cut in before Jack's father could insult me or my mate. "I'm Lacey, and this is-"

"Garret Torque!" Jack's dad roared as he lunged. I stepped in front of Garret, who was trying to move me out of harms way, knocked away the clawed hand flying in our direction. My eyes flashed gold, and I crouch into an attack position. It felt so basic and second-nature that I didn't think twice about back up until my back, or more likely my butt, pressed against Garret. He sucked in a breath as a pushed him back against a wall, still watching Jack's father, the current threat.

My teeth were bared and growls vibrated from my chest. I'm sure that my eyes were still gold as I said, "My mate."

My mom, who I just noticed in the corner gasped in smiled. Good, so she wasn't upset. Jack, who stood behind his father in a relaxed position, frowned. His father laughed before growling more. He still stood before me, ready to attack.

"Mate or not, his an enemy to the Danes pack. He will die, and if you defend him, you will die as well." His voice shook with fury, and his body shuddered as he tried to contain his wolf. Mine was surprisingly quiet, but I assume it was because he trusted me to handle this and prove myself.

"I challenge you, stand-in Alpha, for my rightful position in the Danes pack." My words were solid and confident, and I gave myself a mental pat on the back.

"Lacey! You just shifted for the first time, you should be sleeping!" Jack protested and reasoned, but the glare I shot him shut him up.

Garret's hands pressed into my sides as he grabbed me, but he didn't question me. Mom's solemn face told me that she knew I was ready.

"I accept your challenge, pup."