Denmark had always wondered why Sweden had been so kind to him in those days. It wasn't until Sweden broke off from the Kalmar Union that he understood: Sweden needed Denmark as an ally until then. If Denmark was to have anyone to attack in that time period, he realized, it would have been Sweden. If they hadn't made that pact on the night they met, Sweden would have been the underdog, and most likely would have been defeated a long time ago.

Norway was a different story. Norway, back then, had been weak and alone, no one but his Trolls and faeries to talk to, and nothing to do with his time but build ships, play music and tell stories. Denmark had approached Norway cautiously; even so the poor boy had been terrified to death. Norway had continued to be untrusting until Denmark's sword was on the ground. Even then the Norwegian had been shy, but after Denmark showed he wasn't going to hurt him Norway opened up. Nor had shown Denmark the beautiful ships he had built, told the stories and folk tales of the Norwegian people and even introduced him to Troll.

Back then Norway had laughed the most beautiful, ringing laugh and smiled the truest smile Denmark had laid eyes on. Back then Norway was open and talkative and sweet, and it was hard for Denmark to look at the modern-day Norway and not blame himself for what happened. He had taken Norway from his home and given him a place to stay in Copenhagen. While Norway said he enjoyed the city, the way the Norwegian had looked out the window, it became clear to Denmark that Norway missed his home.

A few weeks afterward Denmark put Norway on a trading ship destined for the Norwegian's homeland. The next time Denmark saw the Norwegian, he had grown considerably and taken Iceland under his wing, whom, at the time, was just a small toddler hiding in Norway's shadow. Then again, Denmark had grown too. They both wore more common clothes than the traditional white robes they had worn when they had first met, but in today's eyes it would be considered Viking wear. Denmark called for Sweden, who came as soon as the letter arrived. At the time there had been an obvious chafe between Norway and Sweden that stuck out like a sore thumb. Norway had placed his arm out in front of Iceland protectively, staring down Sweden with all the strength the Norwegian could muster.

Denmark had evaluated Norway's physical condition when they had greeted each other, and he certainly was not the weakling from before. Thinking back to the present, Norway continued to maintain a fit and muscular physique. Sweden's pale-blue eyes were wide when he saw Norway, recognition written across his face. Norway told Denmark later that Sweden had been present when the Norwegian had sprouted from the ground. Fooled into thinking this was a family relative of sorts, he went completely soft toward the taller blonde and had suffered a pretty bad beating for such a little child. Once Denmark knew this, it became no surprise at all to him that Norway had been so timid when they had met. Sweden had laughed at Norway's defeat and told him, warned him, that one day he would rule Norway, and that Norwegian nation would become meaningless under the rule of Sweden.

Denmark confirmed the story with Sweden later. The Swede confessed to the action and the statement, but promised that it would never occur again. Sweden had apologized to Norway, and after that he doted on Norway's health for years, constantly making sure the smaller ate enough, didn't have wounds unattended, that sort of thing. The four of them, Norway, Sweden, Iceland and himself, had lived rather peacefully for many years.

Norway suffered as the Christian religion swiped through their populations and completely destroyed the old traditions and culture. Norway, who had known nothing more than stories and folklore since the day he had been formed, was forced to forget them. When Denmark had come to take Norway home from the church, more often than not the Norwegian's skin was dyed black and blue, chunks of hair ripped off or stained with blood. That was when Norway lost the gleam in his eyes, the happy, outgoing personality and his cheerfulness. Denmark wished there was something he could have done to help, but he was selfish at the time, and was simply glad it wasn't himself instead. After those days Norway talked to Troll, but no one could see the creature anymore. Neither Denmark nor Sweden wanted to be the one to break the news to Norway that Troll had passed, or moved on to some other place, so neither ever told him.