Chapter 17: Caught in a Lie

Start from the beginning

I stood stock-still in the bedchamber, racking my brain for some way to prevent what was about to happen. James would have no reason to call on Ella unless he intended to tell her about Andrew and me. Ella excluding me from the outing was likely punishment for lying about the seamstress, but now that I'd gone and said James was the one who gave me tickets to the ballet, she'd likely ask him about it if her reaction to the news was any indication.

"Perhaps I can come too," I finally blurted out, charging into the sitting room. Rosanna was tying on her matronly bonnet while Emily was holding a pair of parasols for herself and my cousin. All eyes turned towards me as if they'd forgotten I was there.

"Oh I certainly wouldn't wish to impose upon all three of your ladies-in-waiting as chaperones," James said with a smile, "Besides, I'm sure you're fatigued from a very exciting night at the ballet, Elizabeth,"

He was smiling at me as if nothing was wrong, but his words held secret barbs that only I could understand. I'd convinced Xavier to sneak out with me before the end of the ballet, if only so we could lie in wait for the royals when they exited their box. But James had been ready for me, expertly distracting Andrew while steering him away from me through the crowd as they made their way towards the king's carriage.

"How very thoughtful of you, Lord Amberly," I managed, dipping a curtsey to hide the panic on my face. James and the girls left in a whirlwind of chatter, the door closing behind them to leave me alone in the silence. When their voices had died down in the hallway, I crossed to the door and tried the handle.

They'd locked me in, again.

***

I paced the room, a fist pressed to my mouth as I forced the walls from closing in on me once more. If James was really telling Ella, I'd be sent home that very same day the moment they returned. But I wondered why he had asked Ella out for a walk when he really could have just said what he needed to say right there in the suite. Taking walks together outside was usually reserved for those couples who were courting, or who at least intended to be. Perhaps he intended to calm Ella's temper before he returned her to her suite, or perhaps he wanted to say what he had to say away from the prying ears of the neighbouring suites.

I was still pacing when the maid came in to clear the breakfast tray, my stomach in such knots that I hadn't even touched it. I watched her work if only to have something to distract myself from my thoughts, which kept turning towards the impending catastrophe. I tried to sit once the maid had left, but all I could do was jiggle my foot, nervously looking out the window as if I could catch a glimpse of the quartet sauntering through the gardens.

When I couldn't take the waiting or the silence any longer, I tried to read. But all of the books in the room were the ones I'd brought with me, their pages well-worn with age and their contents very nearly memorized. I glanced at the clock once again, hating that the minute hand was dragging on so slowly. They'd only been gone fifteen minutes and I was already about to tear my hair out.

I didn't allow myself a chance to doubt my decision as I pushed myself out of my chair and careened towards the service door, yanking it open easily. I needed a proper distraction and if I was going to be sent home that very morning, I wanted to get at least one last look at the book of legends I'd discovered in the little library.

The service corridor was loud that morning, the sounds from each of the debutantes' suites carrying through the thin walls easily. If I had wanted to help my cousin by listening for gossip, it would have been an ideal time to overhear each of the debutantes in the rooms I was passing. But I was about to go home, so idle court gossip was of no use to me any more.

I crept downstairs into the little library, inhaling the scent of books as I ran my hand over their spines. I'd miss this room probably more than the rest. There were so many words left unread, books I'd never even known existed that would never be mine to discover. I sat down at the reading table, spreading my hands over the book of legends before I flipped it open. It landed on the story of Isis and Osiris and I read it for awhile, only to flip on to something else when Isis threw herself, crying, over Osiris' coffin. I needed something far more cheerful for a day like today.

I passed legend after legend, skimming them all as I already mourned the loss of such a wonderful book. I closed it with a heavy sigh, picking up the large tome to return it to its place on the shelf. I was heaving it up and into place when the service door snicked open behind me. In my haste to turn and face whoever had caught me sneaking around, I lost my grip on the book and it fell with a thud to the floor.

"Well I hope you haven't taken to throwing my books around,"

The voice tore my eyes from the book splayed out at my feet. Andrew was standing in the service door, an envelope in his hand as he eased the door shut behind him.