Rooming With Ash: Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

"Wow, guys. How drunk am I?" she mused, pointing to her lips with another laugh.

Mackenzie put a finger on Tonya's jawbone, shifting it so that she could see the other side of Tonya's face. She shrugged. "I kind of dig it actually," she said. "You look like kind of like Harley Quinn, but like, sexier. And not white."

Tonya's eyes lit up. "Really?"

Mackenzie nodded and laughed, taking another sip of her drink in a much too composed manner for someone who'd been drinking as much as everyone else to have been in. "I feel like I should call you Madam Rahim now," she said, wiggling her brows at Tonya.

"Alright then, it's a look!"

"I second that," Asia chimed in.

"Yeah, me too," Jaime said. "Very sexy."

Tonya blew him a kiss and Asia watched the interaction with an open mouth and furrowed brows. And the whole while, Brian sat in his little couch in the corner giggling silently to himself. Anytime it seemed like he was just about done laughing, something else happened that sent him right back in.

I had never gotten drunk with any of these people before, but I could already tell that it was going to be one very long and amusing night.

~

We ended up making the Uber driver wait for twenty more minutes after she arrived as we fumbled around trying to gather ourselves to make it out the door in one piece. Mackenzie ended up giving her an extra thirty dollars cash as a 'tip' for being so patient with us and I really couldn't believe that she was holding it together so well having drank as much as the rest of us.

Mackenzie and Jaime were probably the best at holding their liquor, Mackenzie more so than Jaime, but the both of them very much more than everyone else. Brian was still stumbling around giggling to himself and with anyone who he talked to, while Asia kept on trying to dance on inanimate objects and hype other people up. Tonya, on the other hand, was just very weepy and affectionate and kept on telling everyone that they were beautiful and that she could feel their energies while I was a flat-out mess. I was tripping over absolutely nothing and making myself out to be a much bigger klutz than I actually was.

When we got to the party, people kind of dispersed and did their own thing. There was loud music coming from inside the house, but there were a lot of people outside just hanging out and drinking and talking. Tonya and Mackenzie immediately disappeared to God-knows-where, while Jaime had his eye on some girls that were hanging out by the back of the house, laughing with each other. And they didn't seem to be that drunk, so I wasn't too worried – although in my state everyone seemed more sober than me.

Asia was frowning at Jaime's retreating figure, but didn't focus on it long and instead grabbed mine and Brian's hands, dragging us inside the house and towards the sound of the music.

Before even entering the house, I knew I was more gone than I had expected to be. I remember feeling surprised by how breezy and cool it was in such a tight space. The windows of the house were the same as the ones at our place. They went from floor to ceiling, and they had been opened so that fresh air could blow through the crowd of drunken teenagers. I turned to Brian, who was looking at Asia with wide and confused eyes, and burst out into laughter at the sight of his expression. Laughter that once Brian noticed, he quickly joined in on.

A song by The Black Eyed Peas was blasting on the speakers, but I was much too distracted to recognize which one it was.

The three of us danced together for a long enough time that when Asia said she was going to the bathroom and I looked around at the party, I realized we were surrounded by a completely different group of people. I was still drunk, but the constant fresh air had helped me sober up a little throughout the course of the night and I wasn't as shitfaced as I had been upon entering the party.