Chapter 16 - Part One (Sam)

Sam's Point Of View

The cold air attacked my skin as I stepped outside and closed the door behind me. I hopped into my car, making sure to blast the heating to warm up.

Before making my way to pick my girlfriend up, I slipped my phone out of my pocket and texted Sapphire my usual good morning message, I'm sure all girls adore.

I fixed my hair quickly in the mirror and pulled out of the driveway and sped off. I felt my palms sweating slightly as I gripped the steering wheel tighter, Chloe was coming back today. I was determined not to let her ruin everything once again. I wasn't man enough to stand up for what I believed in when Sapphire needed me the most, I won't let her go a second time. I mean hopefully this whole thing was a complete miss understanding and Chloe never returns to this town or within 1000 miles of either of us, I'm clinging onto thought, maybe just maybe.

I honked the horn as I slowly came to a stop outside of her house, and after a few minutes of waiting, without any sign of Sapphire, I hopped out of the car and walked up to the door. I knocked lightly, hearing a faint "come in". I mean she is my girlfriend but I still wouldn't just walk into someone else's house, that's just rude.

I pushed the door open, seeing my girlfriend pacing up and down her kitchen. "Mom - I don't think I can do thi-" immediately stopping in her tracks when she realised I wasn't her mom.

"Oh, Sam. Hey." Sapphire mumbles, looking down to the floor and pulling her sleeves down. "So-Uh, I'm ill." She says, coughing or should I say attempting to fake cough into her jumper. I mean I've faked illnesses many times to get myself out of school so I should know the difference and it was easy to spot her change of attitude as soon as she realised it was me, caught in the act Saph. I know I probably sound very insensitive but I have one guess what this is about and I think she comes in one form, Chloe. If it made her feel better to here, I was scared of the narcissistic bitch too. The girl literally dwells in the putting down of other people to make herself feel better.

I mean I had been pre-warned by Maisie in a should I say rather demanding or harsh text that I should practise tough love on Saph if she even attempted to get out of going into school, and I should be aware of fake illness, fake doctors appointments, you get the idea. But, I mean how can you practise tough love on your girlfriend? especially when she's giving me the puppy eyes, always hard to resist.

"ill? huh?" I say, stepping closer to her. "What's wrong?"

"Uh—I think I've come down with something." Sapphire stutters, coughing once again.

"This doesn't happen to have anything to do with what today is? does it?" I question, knowing she knows what today is.

"Hmm, Nope don't think so, What's today?" She rushes, looking frantically around.

I raise an eyebrow at her, Oh Saph, it's only believable if you play it cool. She huffs and sits down on the kitchen stool. "Fine, I'm scared, ok? is that what you want to hear? I don't want everything ruined again, is that so bad?" Covering her eyes and leaning her arms onto the table.

"Babe, I won't let her come in between us again, I promise. I'll be right by your side all day. I mean, it's Monday, we have the same classes all day except one. I'll be there if she tries to say anything to you." I stand in front of her, gently easing her arms away from her face and planting a kiss on her nose which made her giggle. There that beautiful smile is.

"Fine! Fine! Okay, I'll go. But pinky promise me? You'll be there as much as you can all day?" Saph looks to me, holding out her pinky finger, interlocking it with mine.

"Promise."

"Come on lazy bones, or we're going to be late." Saph says, using me to pull herself up.