11//discussions

"Karina! Michael! It worked, it worked, it worked!"

I was startled awake by Luke bounding down the stairs into my room, followed carefully by Calum and Ashton.

I think this was the first time I'd ever seen all three of them together, except in school.

Calum was smiling ear to ear as he helped Ashton down off of the last step. Then he rushed over to Luke's side, grabbing his hand in the process.

Michael was sitting in a beanbag chair by my tiny window, suppressing a smile.

"You were right! He did like me back!" Luke said excitedly, squeezing Calum's hand. "I don't know how you knew, but you were right!"

Calum and I exchanged a quick look before I turned my gaze to the ground.

"You ever going to tell them about Michael?" Ashton asked quietly as he sat on the edge of my bed.

"I don't know," I sighed as the two boys started talking excitedly to Michael. "I'm not sure I want to risk it. The wish hasn't shown any negative side-effects yet, but you and I both know Luke can be a bit of a loud mouth when he wants to be. If something goes wrong, he could shout the news to the world and all the wishes would be reversed. You'll be back in a wheelchair, Luke and Calum will hate each other again...I'll forget Michael ever existed..."

"Woah, woah, what?" Ashton said, grabbing my arm. "What are you talking about?"

"Remember how I was telling you that I'd been crying before you called?" I said quietly. "And that it was something involving Michael?"

Ashton nodded slowly.

I took a shaky breath. "When I make my last wish, he disappears forever. But it's more than just that. When he's gone, I...I forget he ever existed."

Ashton stared at me fearfully, his eyes flickering toward the scene of the three laughing boys in the corner.

"You're going to forget him completely?" he whispered.

I swallowed. "Unfortunately, that's how it works. He was explaining it all to me just before you called."

"Oh, Karina," Ashton sighed, pulling me into a hug.

Tears started flowing from my eyes as I quietly cried into his shoulder. I could tell the others were watching me; I could feel their stares on my back, but I didn't care. It was nice to have someone other than Michael comfort me about something for once.

"Karina? What's wrong?" Calum's voice came from over my shoulder. I felt Ashton shake his head. I tried to pull out of the hug to face the others, but Ashton wouldn't let me go.

"It's nothing," he said quietly. "Don't worry about it. She's just a little tired still."

I could practically feel Michael's concerned look digging into my spine. I hated that he worried about me. I just wanted him to be okay and know that I was okay, even though I really wasn't.

It was too hard to be okay.

I managed to pull out of Ashton's hug, wiping my eyes hard in an attempt to make the tears disappear completely. It didn't work, but a forced smile seemed to reassure Luke and Calum. Michael still looked worried, but I sent him my usual "we'll talk later" look and he seemed slightly satisfied.

"Sorry about that," I said. "Like Ash said, just tired. How are you two feeling about everything?"

The two boys squeezed each other's hands, sending each other gentle smiles. For some weird reason, I felt strangely jealous of what they had with each other.