The Eleventh Hour (pt 2)

Start from the beginning

At Area 51, I was partnered with Dylan, who worked in the field to retrieve artifacts while I tested them, and Meredith, who worked with him live and hacked things so he could break in easier. The only case where I found an artifact myself was the orb that may or may not have gotten me here. During that mission by myself, the most important thing I did was make sure no one saw. Out of the three of us, Meredith was the techie, it being her job and all, but I convinced her to teach me things until I became good enough with technology to prepare myself for my lone mission. Now I have hacks to wipe all data around me from a 5-mile radius, because that's what humans of the 21st century do: we trap our memories in objects that we trust more than ourselves, so people believe us. Even though I didn't do that much spying around, I've learned how to translate my shock into adrenaline. I learned how to tune everything out and focus on the matter at hand.

Amy, though, hasn't had any training. Not even police training, contrary to her outfit. She shook her head in disbelief. "This isn't real, is it? This is some kind of big wind-up." She fumbled with her hands nervously, trying not to bite away at her perfect red nail polish.

"Why would I wind you up?" The Doctor asked her, probably not understanding what she meant.

"You told me you had a time machine." She said anxiously.

"Well... you believed him," I told her.

"Then I grew up." She replied, looking down.

The Doctor groaned. "Oh, you never want to do that— no hang on, shut up, wait! I missed it." He smacked himself right in the forehead, causing both Amy and I to jump. "I saw it and I missed it!" he smacked himself again. "What did I see? I saw... what did I see?" He looked straight ahead and seemed to be lost in a calculating trance. He glanced to Rory, who just took a picture of a man on his phone, and then to a clock, before turning back to us.

"20 minutes. I can do it. 20 minutes, the planet burns. Run to your loved ones and say goodbye, or stay and help me." He looked at us expectantly, but I only raised my eyebrows and turned to Amy, while she glinted at him.

Amy furrowed her brows. "No."

The Doctor looked bemused. "I'm sorry?"

"NO!" Amy yelled, grabbing the Doctor by his tie, and grabbing me by my locket. She dragged us both over to the car of a man who was getting out of the driver's seat.

"Amy! No! No! What are you doing?" The Doctor yelled, at the same time I shouted "Hey!" She pushed us against the car while the driver just stepped out, slamming his tie and my locket stuck in the door. She took the driver's keys and locked the door.

Immediately, I felt weak. As soon as my long chain was caught in the door, I felt dizzy and fought to stay standing.

"Are you out of your mind?!" The Doctor asked.

Thankfully, she disregarded me at the moment and moved closer to the Doctor. "Who are you?"

"You know who I am," he hissed.

"No, really, who are you?"

"Look at the sky! End of the world, 20 minutes."

"Better talk quickly then!" Amy commanded, backing off of him.

"Stop... yelling," I groaned, feeling weaker, collapsing in the Doctor's arms. I couldn't make out what was happening, but I knew it had something to do with the locket. The sense of belonging was gone, and I felt empty in both the mental and medical sense. Lonely, and light-headed.

The Doctor held me tightly in his arms, while Amy unlocked the car and handed the keys back to the driver.

"Hey, stay with me," the Doctor pleaded, as he opened the door and his tie and my necklace were free. When the necklace was free, I was able to stand up and I grabbed it. Somehow, it didn't break— it only dented a little. The Doctor was still holding me from around my waist, and our proximity was so close I could feel his breath. I closed my eyes to try and focus on what I meant to say. I knew there was something that had to happen that was missing, but the pain was distracting.