Chapter Eleven

The Tartaruga hummed quietly through the mouth of the shipyard carved out beneath Fortress Five. The ship from Yarnsford's harbour, the one Dorothea had fallen overboard in her desperate attempt to escape, was sitting in dry dock. Crook-necked cranes arched over the massive, multi-barrelled battleship, its belly supported on a wheeled cradle locked in place by large wooden wedges. The ship eclipsed the modest Tartaruga.

Gorso manoeuvred into the shipyard and concealed them between a pair of Commission patrol vessels along the main dock. A siren blared, interrupted by gunfire and the occasional shout. Explosions from above shook the cavern, making the long-tailed lamps swing crazily overhead and the shadows they cast to dance wildly.

"Sounds like seven sorts of hell breaking loose," said Angeline.

"This does explain why no one's keeping watch on our way in," Herrera mused. "But I would prefer we know more. Collin, my good shadow, go take a look and see what you can find out."

"On my way."

Collin climbed out, quickly and quietly, and strode down the pier.

While Bastion preferred his book, the rest of them watched Collin traipse  casually along, arms swinging by his side, not playing the role of a soldier as Turner imagined one would.

"He doesn't look like he's trying to blend in at all," Turner said. 

"Such is his talent," Herrera said, "to act like he's not even acting. Believe me, when I say, each  member of this Brigade is an expert in their craft. Collin's skills are just more subtle."

"I get where you're coming from, kiddo," said Angeline, "it takes more than subtle to impress me-"

"Back!"

Everybody jumped at the sound of Collin's voice - Everybody besides Bastion, his nose never leaving his book. The shadow man stood behind them, his reappearance like a trick pulled by a master magician.

Angeline let out a relieved sigh. "Damn, that's impressive."

"Collin!" Gorso growled.

"What?"

"We're all drowning in our own sweat, here, and you sneak up on us like that?" 

"You can't blame me for being amazing."

"Well, could you put a bell around your neck or something?"

"I could, but I think that might be a tad gaudy and possibly get us all shot."

"What's it like out there?" Herrera asked.

"Ghost town. Everybody seems to have gone upstairs. They also just ran out of apples." Collin bit into an apple.

Herrera clapped his hands together. "This distraction presents us with a grand opportunity. But let's not get caught up in the mayhem. We move as shadows. We challenge no one without good reason. Bastion - No killing."

Bastion finally pocked his small book and paid Herrera a small nod. He didn't look nervous. He didn't look raring to go, either. He looked almost disconnected from the situation. Turner suspected this was the look of a natural killer; tame but still very dangerous. Turner better understood the meaning of 'battle specialist' and couldn't help but be a little afraid of Bastion the Bookworm.

"Come, my friends. We head out!"

******

Dorothea trembled as she watched a hulking shape stride across the black iron bridge towards the island where she was imprisoned. It was the golem. She was sure of it. She'd been glued to the window ever since the first reports of gunfire jerked her awake. All attempts to stymie its progress had clearly failed and it was not only impervious to their assault but possessed sufficient defences to thwart its would-be attackers and was evidently not the least bit reluctant to employ them. She stared down at the soldiers scuttling about below, like swarms of ants that had been rudely uprooted from their nest. A thick plume of smoke rose up from the other island, the flames rolling at its base, giving body to the towering pillar lumbering through the dark of the night.