Chapter 7: The Sorting BEGINS!

Start from the beginning

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can top them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart.

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil.

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you've really got a mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin,

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm the Thinking Cap!”

The rip closed and the whole hall, including myself, burst into applause. The hat bowed to the four tables and then sat quite still as though it hadn't just sang and bowed. Professor McGonagall stepped forward and instructed to come forward and sit on the stool when your name was called.

“Abbott, Hannah!” she called. Hannah, pink-faced and blonde pigtailed, made her way to the stool and put the hat on.

“HUFFLEPUFF!” the Sorting Hat shouted a moment later. The table on the right cheered as Hannah took of her hat and made her way toward it.

“Bones, Susan!”

“HUFFLEPUFF!” the Hat called again. Susan went over to the table on the right, as well.

“Boot, Terry!”

“RAVENCLAW!” the Hat shouted as the table second from the left burst into applause.

“Brocklehurst, Mandy!”

“RAVENCLAW!”

“Brown, Lavender!”

“GRYFFINDOR!” The table on the far left shouted and cheered in response.

“Bulstrode, Millicent!”

“SLYTHERIN!” The table second from the right cheered.

~~~~~

“Finch-Fletchley, Justin!”

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

“Fonwen, Jasmine!” Professor McGonagall called. Jasmine gave me a small smile and we released hands. She made her way gracefully to the stool and placed the hat on her head. It hadn't been on for five seconds before it shouted out it's answer.

“SLYTHERIN!” Jasmine shot me a smile and made her way to the Slytherin table.

~~~~~

“Granger, Hermione!”

“GRYFFINDOR!”

~~~~~

“Longbottom, Neville!” Neville stepped out of line and tripped on his way up.

“GRYFFINDOR!” Neville hopped up from the stool and ran off to the table, hat still on his head. He jogged back, face bright red, and most of the hall laughed.

~~~~~

“Malfoy, Draco!” Draco stepped out of his place in line and swept up to the stool. On his way passed me, his hand brushed against mine and he sent a small smirk my way. The hat had barely touched his head when it shouted out his house.

“SLYTHERIN!” He shot me another smile and slipped away to the Slytherin table.

~~~~~

“Potter, Harry!” The hall sounded with gasps and echoes of his names. A pale boy with untidy black hair made his way nervously to the stool. He seemed almost fearful. He sat down on the stool and I could see a scar the shape of a lightening bolt on his forehead and a look of terror flash through his vibrant green eyes before the hat covered them. The hat was on his head for nearly a minute before he was Sorted.

“GRYFFINDOR!” Harry took the hat off his head and a look of relief crossed his face as the Gryffindor table exploded with cheers and whoops. Harry joined his red haired friend at the table and got clapped on the back and shaken hands with many times.

~~~~~

“Thomas, Dean!”

“GRYFFINDOR!”

“Turpin, Lisa!”

“RAVENCLAW!”

“Truscott, Samira!” my breath caught in my throat as I stepped out of line. I walked towards the stool and took several deep breaths. I picked up the hat and sat down on the stool. I placed it on my head and I heard it whisper into my ear.

“Brains, talent, beauty, my, my, aren't you a good one? Now where do you go... Hufflepuff? No, no, of course not. Ravenclaw? That might work... Gryffindor? You could succeed in great things there... Slytherin? Ah, I see great friends there and, what's this? A boy, ah hah! Young love... It's a wonderful thing!” the Hat said to me.

“I don't love Draco!” I thought loudly.

“Denial does bad things to a person, you know. I think I know where to put you, though. Let's put you in...”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HA HA! Sorry, I'm a bitch! But do you know how boring it is to type out the ENTIRE Sorting Hat song?! It's Hell! Plus, I'm still debating slightly what house to put her in... Almost made up my mind. Next chapter will be out very shortly!