4: Those Who Fly (Coco)

I rapidly back away from the creek. I trip backwards and fall in the dirt. I look at my hands. My nails are gone, replaced by sharp claws. I close my eyes so tight that white flashes behind my eyelids. This is just a dream. A really creepy dream...

"Coco." I hear Mint's voice. I open my eyes. She stands over me, her brows scrunched together in concern. She reaches her hand, or paw, or whatever down. I grab it and stand up, brushing the dirt off my pants.
I look at her. Her bright green eyes are slits, her ears are flattened, and her tail lashes from side to side. I flatten my own ears, confused at how the new muscles feel. I focus on my tail, than shake my head.

"Mint, this is a dream. We're in a coma or something. We're probably lying in our beds right now." I say. I try to ignore the flicker of doubt in my mind.
She nods, but her face says differently. "We should go back to the cave," I sigh. "Yeah," she replies.

I start walking back to the cave. I'm stopped by an ear-splitting howl. I whip around. In the gloom, eyes like fiery coals stare at us. My mouth drops open. A giant wolf steps out of the trees. Its eyes glisten, drool drips from its jaws. Mint and I are frozen in fear.

"Run," I whisper. I turn and run. Mint is beside me, her arm brushing mine. I flatten my ears against my head, blocking out the wind. I hear the wolf behind us. I turn around and stifle a scream. Mint stops and I turn back around. A huge cliff reaches down into darkness. I'm dangerously close to the edge. The wolf slows down and snarls. I grab Mint's hand and squeeze.

Then I close my eyes; preparing for death when something grabs me under my arms. I scream, letting Mint's hand slip from my grasp, steadily rising higher, and higher. The beating of wings fills in my ears. I close my eyes. "Put me down!" I scream. A moment passes. "Put me down now!" I yell. "Okay!" comes a reply. My feet touch the ground, and I turn around.

First I see the wings: brown with grey primary feathers. Then I see him. He has brown hair and ocean-blue eyes. He runs his thumb across his forehead, moving his bangs out of his eyes. "Hi," he saye with a smile. I just stare.

Then I see someone emerging from the sky; Mint.
Another bird mutant sets her down. She runs to me and puts her arms around me. She pulls away, "Are you okay?" she asks. "Yeah, are you?" I reply. She nods, than looks at the boys.

The one that saved Mint has dark brown hair and brown eyes. They step closer. The one that saved me looks at me, than clears his throat. "Um hello, I'm Luke and this is Raven." The other boy waves shyly. "I'm Coco," I reply, dipping my head. "And, I'm Mint." Mint says. "Well... let's go to the cave." Raven suggests.