2: The New Reality (Coco)

I tread up a hill, panting. My shoes are caked with mud, and there are leaves in my hair. I'm wearing shorts and my legs are covered in scratches.
Maybe this wasn't a good idea.

I open my mouth to say so when a mini avalanche of rocks rolls down the hill onto my feet.
"Ow!" I look up at Mint.
She smiles sheepishly and says, "Sorry."  I shake my head. I keep walking, growing more frustrated every minute. I hear rustling in the treetops and look up.

The same pair of eyes from earlier stares down at me. I stare back, too scared to speak. The eyes blink. I come up with the strength to glance at Mint, who is shaking with terror. The whole treetop shakes and a cat figure appears; running down the tree to the ground and then taking off, a long tail streaming behind it.

"Follow it!" I yell. I run up the hill as fast as I can. The creatures disappear in a cave. I stop; waiting for Mint. She stops beside me.
"Come on." I say, pointing to the cave.

She looks at me as if I've gone insane. "Coco, yesterday you were deathly afraid of those eyes. Now you want to follow them? It doesn't make sense." Mint shakes her head.
I roll my eyes. "It's... just a cat," I state, "Just come on." Probably.
I walk into the dark cave. My footsteps echo against the walls. "Mint! It's okay, I-" I gasp, falling. I scream as I fall through empty darkness, unaware where I will land.

It seems like forever until I hit water. I emerge, gasping. I swim to the nearest ledge. I crawl out of the water and stand up, shivering. I look around.

We're in a cave. Mint hits the water. She swims out and comes to stand next to me, panting.
"You okay?" I ask. She nods, holding her leaf pendant.
We each have special pendants: Mine's an arrow, Mint's is a mint leaf. I touch mine, and then I walk towards faint light.

We emerge from the cave, blinking in the sunlight. I gasp. Mint's mouth drops open. Mountains surround us on every side. "Coco, I don't think we're on Earth anymore..." Mint breathes. "Nope," I whisper. I walk back into the cave. I look at where we had fallen in. It's nothing but rock. The hole is gone. "No, this cannot be happening!" I yell. Mint stands next to me. I turn to her. "This is a dream right?" I say desperately. She shakes her head, "I'll pinch you if you want."

I stick out my tongue. "No thanks."
Mint breaks the silence, "Have you ever seen the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe?" she asks.
I nod slowly.
"Maybe it's like that, just... more real."