Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

Luke took me into school to collect my things and then took me back to his place. He rolled me into the elevator and we got off at floor 7. The hall was empty except one door, and I stared at him, a little curious why there was only one entrance.

“So um, its floor 7.” Luke murmured.

“No shit.” I said, still upset about having to stay here for the week. “But what apartment number? And where are all the other rooms?”

“I ahh, the whole 7th floor is mine.” He said, awkwardly scratching the back of his head.

With that he pushed open the door and my jaw dropped. This was the most amazing place I had ever seen. The entry way had a diamond black bookshelf wall to the left, and a living room to the right. It was elegantly furnished with red and black, with a white fuzzy carpet covering most of the floor. If you go past the living room, you enter the kitchen. He had marble counters and stainless steel appliances. Then he took me back through and behind the book case was a huge dining room with a beautiful chandiler  hanging over it. Finally, he took me to a hall with three doors. 

“This,” Luke said, tapping on the first door, “is a bathroom, but both rooms have bathrooms so its really for guest. 

“This,” he said, knocking on the next door, “is my room”

“And finally,” he said, pushing open the last door, “Yours for the week.”

“Luke. This is amazing. Like the most beautiful house ever. How did you afford it?” I blurted out, my cheeks going red as I realized what I just said.

“I mean. Its just. You’re a teacher so I didn’t, erm, I mean I dont know your salary, but, uh…” I trailed off, feeling very embarrassed. 

“No. It’s a good question. This isn’t my first career and the other one made a little bit more but I found I have more of a passion for teaching.” He said.

I nodded and we stood there awkwardly for a moment.

“Oh! Right. Your room. I'll leave" He mumbled as he scooted out the door.

I let out a sigh, collapsing on the bed. I. I. I was pregnant. I had a little baby growing in my tummy. I was going to be a mother. And the father? My teacher. Oh God. My teacher. Whats going to happen when everyone ask who the father is. What am i going to tell my parents?! This isn't me. Im not the one to get pregnant in high school. Im not ready for any of this. I cant handle it. I couldn't. No. Maybe? An abortion is so, so wrong. But i cant do this. Im only 17. No, im 18 now. A legal adult. I could sign for surgery! It's time i act like one. And i cant just get rid of it. Then what? Adoption? Let the child live without its real parents? Grow up hating me? I dont know if i could handle it. So all thats left is keeping it. But could I? Would I be a good enough mother, maybe it would be better if i put it up for adoption, give it too someone who's ready. Tears stained my cheeks and my breath was shaky. Then there's Luke. What is he going to say? What if he doesn't want it? Thats a huge possibility. Bigger than him actually wanting it. What if he wants to give it away or even abortion. I mean i thought of it. Should i even tell him?

"Rose?" Luke called from outside my door.

I quickly wiped away my tears and sucked in a shaky breath, trying to regain my composure. 

"Yes?" I replied in a quivering voice.

"Are you? Are you ok?" Luke asked, suprise in his voice. "Can i come in?"

"Yeah. Im a. Im fine. My leg just hurts a bit. Dont worry about it. What do you need?" I said, my voice cracking as more tears threatened to flow. 

"Uh, dinners going to be ready in 15 minutes." Luke said, sounding unsure of himself

"Thanks." I whispered

"Are you sure your okay?" He asked, concern in his voice.

"Yeah." I replied, my voice gave out as I began crying again.

 I layed down on my bed, face on my pillow and sobbed, realizing what an idiot i was. Im not ready. I cant handle this. I cant.