Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

"Rose, rose, rose!" someone shouted from far away

I moved my hand to hit my alarm clock but all i hit was air. I groaned and tried again, my hand still coming up empty. I sighed and sat up, slowly peeling my eyes open. At first all i could see was black. I almost fell over i was so dizzy. Suddenly a firm hand reached out and steadied me, my body relaxing immediately. I open my eyes again and could make out blurry images. Slowly, they cleared and i was looking into the eyes of Luke, our faces way to close. I jumped back and a look of surprise crossed his face, his hand leaving my arm. I missed it.

"Rose, are you ok?" Luke asked, worry in his eyes, "The doctor said you passed out. That was over 30 minutes ago. What happened?"

I thought about it for a while, recalling today's events. Suddenly i remembered, my hand instinctively reaching for my stomach. Luke didn't seem to notice but kept his gaze locked on my face.

"I... err... yeah. I was just hungry, that's all. Would you mind getting me some food?" i asked, not willing to meet his gaze.

"Of course, I'll be right back." Luke said, and walked out of the room.

My mind began racing. I can't be pregnant, i just can't. It's not possible. But i knew it was. I had slept with him a little over a month ago. I wouldn't know for another month unless i had come to the hospital. I sighed. How could this have happened?  He had a condom, I had made sure of it. I groaned and let my head hit the pillow.

"Rose? Are you asleep? I brought you some food." Luke said.

I sat up and looked at him, and it hit me again. It was his baby. He's my teacher, and he's the father of my baby! Things could not be much worse.

"Great!" I said, a fake smile plastered across my face.

How was I going to tell him? What would he do? He might tell me he wanted nothing to do me or the baby. How would I be able to care for a child alone? Tears welt up my eyes and I sucked in a deep breath, willing them away.

"Rose? What's wrong? Are you in pain?" Luke asked, worry flooding his voice.

"No, I'm fine." I said, flashing him a fake smile.

"Alright. Well, the doctor said we could go home anytime today. They have a wheelchair waiting for you."

I sighed and slipped out of bed, wincing as I put pressure on my bad knee.

"Here let me help," Luke said, and he swiftly picked me up bridal style. A moment later we were in the hall, and he gently set me down on the wheelchair.

"Thanks guys." Luke said as he pushed me out of the hospital.

The ride back to school was silent; the only words spoken were him asking if I was in pain every now and then.