Chapter 21

David had his head down on the hospital bed near Ella's side. They stabilized her almost immediately and now she was recovering. It had been four hours since they arrived and she still hadn't woken up. He was a nervous wreck but, her mom kept assuring him that she was just exhausted from the blood loss.

He had started to drift asleep when he felt a soft hand run through his hair. He shot up and found Ella smiling at him.

"Ella," he said, breathing a sigh of relief.

"The movies lied," she replied.

"Huh? Maybe you hurt your head too."

She gingerly touched her side and winced. "They lied because that hurt like hell. There is no way someone can still kick butt with a stupid knife hanging out of their body."

"Oh Ella."

David walked over to her good side and carefully laid down next to her. She wrapped her arms around his body and began to cry.

"It's okay," he said, his voice gruff with emotion.

He sat there for a long time and just let her cry while he held her. When she finally looked up her eyes were red and puffy.

"This school year has been such a mess," she croaked.

"I know."

"The only good thing that happened was finding you again."

He kissed her forehead and when he pulled back she was staring down at the blanket and fiddling with one of the wires.

"About that whole love thing..." her voice trailed off.

David raised and eyebrow. "What about it?"

Ella bit her lip. "I didn't mean to say...well I mean, yeah I did but, if you don't feel that way." She looked up at him and laughed. "This is so stupid."

"Wait," he said, looking at her with wide eyes. "You don't think I love you?"

Tears started to prick her eyes again. She nodded and looked away, not able to face the rejection.

He gently put his fingers under her chin and turned her head around. "You were kidnapped by your dad and then stabbed by him and you're worried if I love you?"

"Yes."

David let out a long, exaggerated breath. "I've loved you since we've been kids. Why do you think I never fought back? Deep down I knew you were my mate. I didn't say it back at the campsite because there was so much going on."

Ella blushed. "Sorry about that."

David lowered his lips and kissed her with a tenderness she didn't know he possessed. The kiss was brief but, full of everything he wasn't able to say.

David pulled back and ran his thumb across her lips. "Don't ever apologize for saying that."

She smiled weakly at him. "Okay, then I love you."

"I love you too."

He kissed her again and this time there was an urgency there. She gently pushed him back and gave him a puzzled look.

"Don't ever put yourself I'm danger again because of me. Going with your father and then taking a knife is the side was stupid and reckless."

Ella surprised herself by nodding in agreement. "It wasn't my smartest move. I just wanted to fix things without anyone getting hurt."

"And what about you?" Growled David. "There is no one more important in my life than you."

"I'm sorry." Her lip began to quiver. "I'm never going to do that again. Getting stabbed hurts."