Chapter 19

"Get in the car and drive," said Ella's dad.

Ella was frozen in place. She was terrified and excited at the same time. The little girl in her wanted so badly to believe that her father had come home to be with the family again. The logical side of her knew that he was probably insane and capable of hurting her.

"No," she managed to squeak out.

Her dad stood up straighter and regarded her with a new admiration. He slowly walked around, his eyes never leaving hers, and stopped when he was inches away. With an undetectable speed, he grabbed her keys and grinned.

"I'll drive, you listen."

Ella watched with her mouth hanging open as he slid into the car and started it. He calmly waited while she stood outside.

Should she run? She wouldn't make it very far. He would either chase her with a car or as a wolf.

Ella carefully walked over to the passenger side and slide her phone out of her pocket. She sat down and made sure to keep it out of view.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

He drove down the gravel path leading to the mountain and didn't answer for what felt like forever.

"I'm taking you to where my pack is staying."

"What?" She gasped. "No way! Stop the car."

He sighed. "I just want to talk. I'm your father and I haven't been around. Don't I deserve a chance to tell you my side?"

She stopped yelling and looked over at him. The man sitting there had definitely changed but, somewhere deep down, the person she called dad still existed.

"Fine but I won't stay. You have to take me home after we talk."

"Of course, sweetie." He smiled. "Whatever you want."

"How far away is your pack?" She asked, trying to keep him distracted. She was making sure to text David so someone knew where she was. Her mother would have been a better choice but, she felt safe with David. He would find her.

"With my dad. Phone GPS is on. Find me if I'm not home in 2 hours."

"Not too far. We won't be long." He glanced at her. "It's great to see you. I'll tell you everything once we're there."

She stayed silent and tried to keep calm. Her life had gone in a completely different direction than she had ever expected. The year had started off pretty normal. There were a few hiccups but, nothing crazy. Now she was in love with wolf-boy and in a car with her father who has been absent for most of her life. There was also the small problem of her being half shifter and the descendant of a hunter. Quite the contradiction but that was for a different time and place.

What she needed to focus on now was trying to gently tell her father that there was no way she was running his pack of criminal wolves. Being with David she might have to do that one day but, at least they weren't labeled as the craziest pack ever.

They eventually arrived to a heavily wooded area that looked like a campsite. Ella didn't recognize it.

she glanced at her dad with raised eyebrows. "This is where you're living? Where is your pack?"

He smiled. "I'm glad you're familiar with some shifter terms. Looks like Chelsea has been teaching you a few things."

She returned the smile with a smirk of her own. "Not really. My boyfriend is David. He's taught me quite a bit."

Ella enjoyed his reaction more than she should have. He went from shock, to disgust, then to anger. She expected all of that and wanted him to know that she had a future alpha looking for her. That was the first time she realized she was grateful for having a shifter boyfriend.