Chapter 15

Ella walked into the Wise's house which was eerily quiet. The crazy amount of people were gone and they were likely the only ones there.

"I'm gonna go hang out with Tyson," said Monica.

Phil grabbed her arm. "You need to hear this too."

She looked confused but took a seat next to Tyson in the family room. Ella followed after and bit her lip as soon as she entered the room. She didn't know where to sit. Her mom was eyeing her expectantly, David's parents were shooting her death glares, and there was an open spot on the couch next to David.

Ella didn't get a chance to make a decision. David jumped up and led her to the couch. He kept his distance by sitting on the arm of the chair but, made it very clear that she meant something to him.

His mom, Karen, pursed her lips and gave her husband a look. He just shook his head, indicating they would talk later.

"I need to let you guys know everything that's going on," said Ella's mom. "It's not fair to keep you in the dark when all of this has to do with you," she said, looking at Ella.

"Yeah I got that," grumbled Ella. "I'm sure you heard about tonight."

"We did," said Phil.

Ella sighed. "Then let's hear it. I'm tired of this crap."

"I met your dad when I was young and stupid," said Ella's mom. "Very stupid. I was a rebel and ran away with him. Six months later I was pregnant with you. My parents were pissed."

Ella smiled. "I miss Nana and papa."

Her mom returned her smile. "Me too. Anyway, I tried to make it work with your father but, he went nuts. I was and human and he was a shifter; that just doesn't mix."

Ella looked up at David who had an unreadable expression on his face.

"Why doesn't it mix?" Asked Monica.

Phil cleared his throat. "Shifters have mates. Chelsea wasn't his mate but, he decided to have a child with her anyway. It made him infertile after that."

"Seriously?" Gasped Ella.

David's mom, Karen, chimed in. "Unfortunately yes. It's like nature's way of preventing so many half shifters."

"So what happened to dad?" Asked Ella.

Her mom sighed and her face fell. "He was never wanted a family. I loved him but, we were never enough. When he went crazy, I caved and called my family for help."

"What do you mean by going crazy?" Asked David. His voice was quiet and controlled.

"He tried to kill me," she whispered. "That's when my family came and saved us. They thought they killed him but, here we are."

"You're and hunter, aren't you?" Asked David.

Her mom nodded. "And so is Phil. That's how we met. We also have similar stories."

"Hold up," said Tyson. "Are you telling me that Monica is half shifter?"

"Yes," said Phil through clenched teeth. "She is. Her mother was a shifter. She died in childbirth."

"So can she not have more than one kid?" Asked Tyson, nodding his head towards Monica.

"I don't think that's any of your business," Growled phil.

Ella's mom rested her hand on his leg. "Easy Phil. Yes, she can. A full shifter can have multiple kids with a half shifter. We've seen it."

"Hello," said Ella, waving her hands. "That's great and all but, can we get back to the hunter thing. You and phil are hunters?"