The Christ-Child

By Gilbert K. Chesterton 

The Christ-child lay on Mary's lap,                                                                                                                                              His hair was like a light.                                                                                                                                                                   ( O weary, weary were the world,                                                                                                                                              But here is alright)

The Christ-child lay on Mary's breast                                                                                                                                         His hair was like a star.                                                                                                                                                                   ( O Stern and cunning are the kings,                                                                                                                                          But here the true hearts are.)

The Christ-child lay on  Mary's heart,                                                                                                                                        His hair was like a fire.                                                                                                                                                                     ( O weary weary is the world,                                                                                                                                                       But  hear the world's desire.)

The Christ -child stood on Mary's knee,                                                                                                                                     His hair was like a crown,                                                                                                                                                               And all the flowers looked up at him,                                                                                                                                       And all the stars looked down."