Lamp Posts

Kimberley's POV

First day of school and I NEED to make a good impression. My dad has paid a lot of money for me and my younger siblings to come to this performing arts school. I dream that one day I’ll be a successful film or theatre star; I love to sing as well. My younger sister Amy loves dancing and my brother Adam loves music, he can act as well but prefers to do music related things. My older sister, Sally stayed in Bradford and took over my dad’s office there, while he and my mum brought us to Newcastle.  The school is as good as money can buy, always getting top reviews and talent spotters seeking out those lucky enough to get chosen. I'm over the moon my dad got us in here, although I'm sure it was more to do with our last name. Walsh, my family own a chain of very successful law firms in and all over Britain, so my dad is a pretty well-known man.

Dad insisted we had the driver take us to school because he doesn’t trust us to walk to and from school unsupervised. This uniform wasn’t as ugly as id imagined it to be. A simple pleated skirt, at reasonable length, along with a plain white shirt, a tie and the choice of jumper or cardigan. I'm so glad that there isn’t a hideous blazer, god I hate those things. They make you look ten times bigger than you actually are and let’s face it, thanks to my bum and hips I don’t need any extra help in that department. Luckily pleated skirts don’t make it stand out too much.

As we pulled up into the gates of the school I saw everyone turn and stare at the car. ‘Great’ I mumbled under my breath. A group of girls caught my eye. First a girl with fiery red hair and beautiful pale skin, god I envy her skin tone! Second a tall girl with extremely long blonde hair stood next to another blonde, this time her hair was very short and peroxide blonde, she had a sort of rock chick look to her. Then not forgetting the girl that completely took my breath away. She had beautiful, long flowing brunette hair that stopped just above her waist, big brown eyes and a gleaming smile. Two adorable dimples placed either side of her mouth which stood out as she smiled towards our car and finally her body. She was average height with a beautiful mocha colour to her skin; you could just see her toned thighs which were covered by her skirt and the taught muscles of her calves standing out as she turned to talk to the girl with red hair.

I didn’t even realise I was staring until I was the only person left in the car and my family half way across the court yard. I nearly fell out of the car trying to catch up to them, casting a quick glance over to the brunette as she stood laughing with her friends, unaware of my presence. I sped up my pace and walked in through the main door to the school, seeing my brother and sister staring open mouthed at the grand designs inside of the building. It really was beautiful but my attention was taken from the building and directed to a heavenly sound of laughter filling the silent entrance. It was the beautiful girl with brunette hair entering the door with her little gang of friends.

She pushed her fringe to the side and looked in my direction. She smiled politely, showing her dimples and I think my knees became weak from one simple gesture. She truly was beautiful and I couldn’t help but stare and admire her beauty. Well until I was rudely interrupted by my former head teacher, Mrs Richards. She was a middle aged woman with chestnut brown hair, neatly placed into a bun on top of her head, delicately placed glasses balanced carefully in her hair while not being used. She wore a simply black pencil skirt and a purple blouse, simply yet professional. She greeted us with a warming smile, which instantly made me feel happier about starting a new school.

She led us to a room which I presumed to be her office. It was neat and tidy and very stylish look about the room. We all sat down around a table, mum one side and dad the other, while us three placed ourselves in the middle of them. Of course I sat next to my dad because let’s face it; I'm a true daddy’s girl. Mrs Richards ran us through our time tables and after that I zoned out. All I could think about was the girl with brunette hair. I think I always knew that I preferred girls to boys but that didn’t occur to me until the last holiday we went on. I met a girl called Charlie, she was so nice and I thought we had just become really close until I realised I felt more than just friendship towards her. I eventually told her on the 3rd day before we had to leave to come home. She said she liked me too and we spent two days practically joined at the hip. My parents’ guessed it was more than a friendship because my dad said the way we looked at each other was the big clue. I couldn’t help looking at her like that, her eyes were deep blue and I often found myself becoming lost in them. On the last day we exchanged nearly all our details with each other like phone numbers, emails and even where we lived, but once we got home I heard from her twice and then nothing. Not even a lousy text from her. And to this day I've never seen her since.

‘Kim…Kim are you feeling okay, love?’ It was my mum; she was crouched in front of my stroking my hand to get my attention. ‘Oh…erm yeah I'm fine thanks, just zoned out for a little while there.’ I really need to stop zoning in and out of things; people are going to think I'm going mad. ‘So, as I was saying I have made sure that Amy and Adam are together for the first week here, but because Kimberley is older, I've arranged for a student named Cheryl to look after you and make sure you don’t get lost. You both have similar time tables, you will be together in music and other core lessons but when you have Drama, Cheryl has dance.’ Mrs Richards smiled towards me as she finished her sentence. Just as she was about to speak again, a knock on the door interrupted her.

‘Come in’ she smiled apologetically towards my dad and the door opened. Talk about fate but it was the brunette girl, it seems I can’t go anywhere without her turning up not that I'm complaining. ‘Ah perfect timing, Kimberley this is Cheryl, she will be looking after you for the first week of your school term.’ I can’t even begin to tell you how happy I am that she's going to be looking after me. ‘Hi I'm Cheryl, so I'm guessing you're Kim?’ she outstretched her arm towards me and smiled. I gladly took her arm and I swear I felt a little spark shoot through my body as we touched hands. ‘Hi…yeah…that’s me.’ I stuttered. ‘Nice one Kim nice way to make a fool out of yourself’.

Hey so this is the rewrite of Lamp Posts, and I'm feeling pretty confident about it already! It's not a long update but I already have the next chapters planned for you guys. Sorry for being a pain in the ass but hey, least I didn’t just stop writing completely.

Enjoy x