"Hey," I spoke quietly as we stepped by her.

I led Skyler up to my room and shut the door behind us. She stood there like a lost puppy, but the second I came up and put my hand on her lower back she flinched away. I cringed as she stared at me with wide eyes. I took a cautionary step away from her before I decided to speak.

"You can take a shower if you'd like." I gestured toward the bathroom connected to my room. She nodded but didn't say a word.

"There are fresh towels in the cabinet you can use," I spoke again, but she just turned away from me and disappeared into the bathroom.

I sighed loudly once I heard the shower turn on. I knew my mother was downstairs right now expecting an explanation as to why I brought home a bruised and bloodied girl at three o'clock in the morning. I headed back downstairs and find my mother in the exact place I expected her to be, the kitchen.

"W-what happened to her?" My mom stuttered and it was obvious she was completely freaked out. "How do you know her?"

"Her name is Skyler. We both go to the same therapist," I paused briefly before I spoke again. "And her boyfriend did that to her."

"Oh my god, Calum." My mother covered her mouth in shock and I could see tears welling up in her eyes.

"She's going to spend the night." I didn't even bother to ask.

My mother just nodded along. "Yes, of course."

With that I turned on my heels and headed for the door. "Calum?" I looked back toward my mother.

"I know you would never do that to someone unless there was a just cause," She held back tears as she spoke. "And you know I love you."

I smiled as best I could in light of the current situation. "I love you too, mom."

The shower was still on when I got back to my room. I flopped down onto my bed as I stared up at the ceiling, my mind devoid of any thought. I knew that if I started to think about what had happened to Skyler tonight, I would end up at her house ready to take a swing at her boyfriend.

"Calum?" Skyler's voice had me up and off my bed in seconds.

"Yeah? I'm here."

It was quiet for a second. "Could I borrow some clothes?"

I nodded to myself as I moved across my room to where my dresser was. "Sure."

All my clothes were going to drown her no matter what so I just grabbed a sweatshirt and the smallest pair of athletic shorts I could find. I cleared my throat and knocked on the bathroom door to signify that I was there. Unexpectedly, the door opened fully and I stood there stunned by the sight of Skyler in just her bra and underwear.

It wasn't the fact that she was standing there half naked. It was all the faded bruises and old scars that adorned her stomach and thighs that had tears forming in my eyes. But even with all the cuts and bruises I still thought she was the prettiest girl I had ever seen.

"You're beautiful," I spoke my mind.

In seconds Skyler's arms wrapped tightly around my waist as she cried into my chest. I wrapped the zip-up hoodie I had gotten out for her around her bare shoulders before my arms encased her tiny frame.

"You were right," She sobbed. "You were right and I defended him!"

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," She repeated over and over again.

My arms tightened around her as she continued to break down. I rocked us back and forth in a soothing manner as we stood in the middle of my room.