Chapter 11

Waking up with Alex in his arms was his absolute favorite thing, Jack decided. He instantly woke up with a smile on his face, upon feeling the older boy pressed up against him. It's not very often Jack wakes up with a smile on his face, so he knew this was a rarity he needed to cherish. Jack wrapped his arm around Alex's waist and saw sun was shining in. Birds were chirping outside as Spring was finally here. The warm sun shone on his face and before he knew it he was drifting back into blissful oblivion.

Jack awoke again two hours later, feeling well rested. Alex was sitting in bed next to him writing furiously in a notebook with his brows slightly furrowed. Okay so maybe that was his favorite thing to wake up to. With Alex it was hard to tell, for he loves everything about him. Jack sat up, gave Alex a kiss on the cheek and leaned his head on his shoulder, observing the lyrics he was writing down. This was the last day of his 'vacation,' as Ian would be returning tomorrow morning; only one more full day with Alex before reality hit. He chose not to think about that, however. Today he wanted to be happy and feel like an actual normal human.

The two of them had plans to go into the city but the weather that started out so beautiful began to worsen. Light rain began to fall from the sky and dark clouds were beginning to roll in: the first thunderstorm of the year was underway.

Neither of them complained however, for they made hot chocolate, curled up together on the couch and spent the day watching movies.

"I don't think I've ever been this happy in my entire life," Alex mumbled against Jack's head. He sat up and met Alex's warm golden eyes with his own dark ones.

"Me, neither." Jack sighed. "It makes it even harder to leave you for work tomorrow."

"Then don't go," Alex said suddenly.

"Of course I have to go, besides you have class tomorrow."

"What if neither of us went, though? What if we just -- just ran away? I've always wanted to be a lawyer, but I've never wanted anything as much as I want you."

Jack bit his lip, a hint of a smile forming. He could imagine it, running away with Alex's hand in his own. Just disappearing, never to be found again as he spent the rest of his life with the love of his life next to him. No worries, no stress, no work or class -- just Jack and Alex. They could grow old together, cracking jokes as their hair begins to turn grey. They could happily be in love in peace.
The buzzing of his pager pulled Jack out of his deliriously perfect daydream and he sighed, dismissing the page. He would never get away with it, he knew that. While it's true, ignorance is bliss, it isn't worth both of them dying over. Jack looked back at Alex and met his eyes once again.

"You have no idea how much I would love that, but--" He was interrupted by Alex kissing him.

"I know," He replied, resting his hand on the nape of Jack's neck. "I know." And he kissed him again but with so much passion and so much adoration, Jack's mind quickly became clouded by his overwhelming love for Alex.

Love. It's not like his brain's nonchalant use of the word surprised him, for he knew this is the man he's meant to be with; he was just more surprised he hadn't realized it sooner.