Chapter 3

Although Destrien had the best view of that evening's entertainment, his eyes remained fixed on the work of art seated across from him at the table. Aleida had changed, yet again, into a different dress. Destrien wondered how many different outfits she owned and had brought with to Lyriah. This one was just as splendid, the lilac silk decorated with whorls of gold and purple, small flowers of matching shades woven into her hair.

The meal consisted of several courses of delicious cuisine: a variety of hot soups, different baked breads with sesame and garlic, steamed vegetables, potatoes that had been roasted into a fine crisp, jewelled rice and couscous, platters of different meats and fish. The smell of spices from various parts of different kingdoms filled the great hall. Servants danced around the guests, displaying even more dishes underneath shining cloches. Destrien looked up from pouring sizzling gravy over his food and was pleasantly surprised to see Aleida tucking in to her own full plate. He knew many young women starved themselves in order to have one of those ridiculously tiny waistlines that seemed to be in fashion, and was glad Aleida seemed to enjoy eating as much as he did.

To Destrien's right sat his mother and father, to his left, Tomas. Opposite him, Aleida said beside her parents. Both kings were roaring with laughter, ale in hand. They clinked their mugs, the alcohol sloshing down their hands, and chugged back the drink. Beside them, the queens planned the forthcoming wedding.

"So," Tomas said, ripping into a hunk of bread, "Aleida..." he smiled wickedly as he looked back and forth between Destrien and his betrothed, wiggling his eyebrows. Destrien slapped him playfully on the arm, trying to draw attention from the heat that had risen to his cheeks, but Aleida just laughed.

"How old are you, Tomas?"

"I'm ten," he said proudly, his posture straightening.

"Only ten? Gosh, you look at least thirteen!"

This had Tomas grinning- she had known exactly how to please him. Destrien watched in awe as his younger brother opened up to the princess, describing his favourite books, his lessons, his horse. The boy, who was normally extremely shy and introverted, had taken to Aleida instantly.

After desert, which consisted of piles of sweet delicacies, mountainous displays of fruit and herbal teas, Destrien felt rather like spending at least two days in training, just to work off the meal. The hall was grand enough that, at the back, a large space still remained despite the many tables of guests. As the emptied plates were cleared away, the small orchestra began to play a merry tune on their instruments and the ladies of the two courts lifted their skirts and dragged their partners towards the dance floor.

"Destrien," King Elric bellowed, "I take it you are about to ask for permission to take my daughter to dance?" Destrien had, in fact, been pondering whether or not the princess wanted to dance and whether it was appropriate to ask her. He rose, dropping his used napkin onto the table. He turned to her.

"Princess," he said, using her title in front of their parents, "may I have this dance?"

She blushed, and said "of course, my Prince."

· • ●

Destrien had received many dance lessons throughout his life, and was able to recognise the sheer beauty and skill of his dance partner. Aleida danced and twirled and spun around him, her blue eyes never leaving his face, her lips pursed in concentration. Her purple skirts encircled them both, creating a barrier between them and the rest of the room. It felt as if they were the only two people alive in the world. Destrien's hands had been around her waist, however they had somehow moved to her back, as if he were pulling her into him, pressing their bodies closer. Her hands were on his body, and he felt alive. Everyone else was changing partners around them, but he held Aleida tightly. Everything in the room was a blur of changing colour, the blues and oranges and pinks of the different dresses merging into one. Only Aleida stayed in focus as they danced and danced and danced.