Gift

Marc

Benny's, my favorite cafe to go to, especially during the holiday season. They're a nice little eatery with good food that is conveniently placed near all of the shops that I have to go to for Christmas gifts. I could smell the coffee beans even though we were sitting outside of the shop enjoying the cool winter breeze. I sat across from my best friend of two years, who was currently sipping a cup of over-creamed coffee, I'd be surprised if he could even taste the coffee anymore, probably tastes like sweet milk. He was focused on his daughters Christmas list in front of him, that child sure did want a lot. Every year her Christmas list is about two pages long; she obviously doesn't get everything on the list, but I'm surprised someone could even think of that many things to want. He was annoyingly chewing at his lips while he was looking at a Lalaloopsy toy; he used to have a really bad habit of biting the dry skin off of his lips, and now that he actually uses Chapstick his lips are no longer dry or peeling, but the habit is still going strong.

I watched the pedestrians crossing the street and all of the people that were biking on Rosemary street. The lights wrapped around the trees were very beautiful, especially at night when the whole shopping district is lit up. I can always count on Rosemary street to cheer me up.

Once the waiter brought out my panini, soup, and a light fruity juice, I turned to look at Belmont, my friend. I interrupted his mad search to find the right store with the right sales on his cellular device.

"Hey Bel?" He looked up with a raised brow signifying that he heard the question in my tone. "What are you buying Jess?" Jess, short for Jessica, is his wife of five years, he loves her dearly and always gets her something beautifully sentimental.

"I'm not quite sure, I was thinking of buying her a custom ring with all of our family's birthstones in it, that's what I've been saving up for, but I'm still not quite sure". He took a sip of his sweetened coffee before asking me a question in return. "So have you decided what to get Sarah?"

"No, I haven't, and I know that I really need to". Sarah is my older sister by two years, she's a very sweet lady, but I hate to shop for her. "She's pregnant, so I was thinking of giving her a gift card to a baby store, but I mean I can do that at her baby shower, I want to get something for her". I took a large bite of my sandwich and waited for him to respond.

Belmont was looking back down at his daughters Christmas list writing little notes here and there, but he still brought his focus back to me to reply. "Isn't she into pottery?" I could feel the confusion on my face, but I was surprised I didn't think of that first.

"Well should I go to the store, I'd like to get something a little more custom, I don't really know any good places for pottery?"

"I have a friend, his names Isaac, he makes vases and bowls and thinks like that. I can take you over to his shop after this if you'd like?" This is why Belmont is my best friend, he always has what and who I need.

"Yea, thanks man".

"No problem".