Prologue

Prologue:

"I can't just leave her in there Minho!" Newt said looking defeated.

"You really care about her don't you?" Minho asked.

"I do I can't explain it but I care about her so much I feel like I need to
protect her." Newt said.

"Alright shuckface get going! I will cover for you but be back before sundown." Minho said, running away.

Newt had one chance to save her and one chance only if he didn't find her tonight he never would, but Newt wouldn't leave the maze without her, and Minho knew it.

He took off at a fast pace. He loved the feeling of running, the wind in his face, the sound of his shoes echoing off the tall walls, it was the feeling of freedom and Newt loved that feeling he always had, but today he wasn't focused on that he was focused on one thing alone.

Finding the girl he loved and getting her back home, back to the glade, back in his arms.

As Newt was running some cut ivy caught his eye, he knew it was her who had cut it because he taught that if she was ever in the maze for some odd reason to cut the ivy so she would be able to find her way home.

Newt followed the cut strings of ivy for about an hour when he relized it was almost sundown! He knew he had to find her soon or they would both become pieces of the unknown, they would become something everyone feared, well everyone except Newt, they would cease to exist, they would be dead.

Newt then heard the familiar 'click click whir, click click whir, click click whir' it was a griever, and it was headed right for him! He turned to run but smashed his arm into the thick, dark, walls. He moaned in pain, but kept running.

Then he heard an ear piercing scream, it was a scream that paralyzed him, his feet were glued to the ground, then he heard it again. All the adrenaline came rushing back and he ran straight towards the scream.

He finally saw her. Her gloden brown hair, her chocolate eyes, her rosy cheeks, her pink lips, her small hands. She was in front of him and she was alive and un-harmed for now at least. The grievers were coming out and there was one right in front of her.

When she saw him she was overwhelmed with joy and relief! She flung herself onto him and held on for dear life! He hung on too. Then he wad knocked to the ground and she went tumbling with him. A griever had caught onto his ankle and it wasn't letting go.

"Newt!" She screamed, tears rolling down her face.

She grabbed her machete and ran as fast as she could towards the griever, towards Newt! She swung the machete down on the grievers arm so hard that the leg fell right off. The griever screamed in suprise and slunk, she had just enough time to grab Newt and run.

She and Newt ran as fast as they could down one corridor after another one, they went left then right, then right and left again, and so on. They heard the ground begin to shake just as they came in view of the door.

"Newt we have to make we just have to! " She said filled with sadness.

"Just run as fast as you can! " Newt responded.

And thats what they did, they ran as fast as they could.

With every chapter I post I will add a picture at the top with my favorite quote from the chapter. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
~Hannah Grace~