Chapter 3- Spilled Coffee

Chapter 3

Waking up I found myself still on my couch, book lying on my chest still half dreaming about cowboys from the 1800s and their hands running all over me. Getting up from the couch, I hold my hand to my forehead to try to stop the pounding of giant hammers in my brain. Guess I should’ve not found the bottom of that bottle so fast last night I didn’t even finish my book. Walking and probably looking like a zombie, I fumbled my way to the kitchen and was so happy that my coffee pot is automatic and that I had refilled it yesterday as I reached the cabinet above my head to get my favorite mug down that has a mosaic of reds and blues on it and filled it with the delicious, mystic juice that is coffee. Usually, I take my coffee with French vanilla creamer but today I think I need it straight black. Reaching over, I put just a little cold water in the mug to make it a temperature that won’t scorch me. Tipping the mug back, I relish the bitter, hot, rich taste of the coffee as it slid down my dry throat.

After my cup of magic sludge, I forced myself to brush my hair and teeth. Not bothering to change from my pajamas I poured another cup of coffee padded along the floor with my bare feet. Walking out on the front porch I settled down on the old whitewashed wooden swing enjoying my coffee. As I sat there enjoying my Saturday morning the sound of birds reached my ears. Looking to my left I noticed a little blue bird making a nest on the upper corner of my porch. Smiling, I just sat back and tried to take it all in. The late spring breeze was caressing my skin making it very comfortable to be outside. Taking a deep breath I was comforted by the country air, once again happy I had never moved to a big city. I could smell the lilac bush that I planted ten years ago as well as the wild honeysuckles that flow over the fence to my yard. The pounding in my head was gone and I was feeling pretty good today. Pulling one of my legs under me, I pushed off to swing with the foot still on the floor. Hearing a slapping sound I looked around to see where it was coming from. The first thing I saw was running shoes, looking up I was curious to see who would be jogging in our neighborhood because no one ever did. Basketball shorts hung low on hips, moving upwards I saw sweat glistening on his lower abdomen. It was Darrel and once again he wasn’t wearing a shirt. When I looked up at his handsome face it was apparently too much for me because in all my gawking I hadn’t noticed that my coffee cup was tilting.

“Ouch,” I yelled as the hot coffee splashed on my bare foot.

“Are you okay?” he asked. He was passing my house as I yelled out obviously loud enough he heard it and stopped. Will there ever be a time I do not embarrass myself to the point of humiliation in front of this man? He pulled his headphones from his ears, which made me wonder how he managed to hear me yell.

“Oh, yeah I-I’m fine,” I said as I flung drops of coffee off my foot. He grabbed a towel from his back pocket and held it up almost in a surrender fashion.

“I haven’t used it yet,” he said as he bent down and wiped the left over coffee from my foot. When his hand touched my foot a jolt of pleasure erupted all the way to my lady bits causing me to bite the inside of my lip to keep from moaning out loud. Pulling my foot from his grasp I stood only causing things to get even more awkward when that put his face near said lady bits that were currently melting down. Trying to get away from him I nearly tripped over him in the process, he stood and steadied me.

“You sure you are okay?” he asked looking concerned.

“Yeah, I’m sorry I just drank too much wine last night so my brain isn’t in full functioning mode yet,” I said. “So, how was your game last night?” I asked desperate to change the subject from my ineptness this morning. He smiled widened when I asked.

“Great, we won,” he said proudly. It was so difficult to stand here and try to converse with a half-naked Greek god without wanting to lick every drop of sweat from his chest.