Chapter Seventeen

Começar do início

Bridges took a step in my direction but was stopped from coming any closer by the sound of the front door opening.

"Just because you are engaged to Mr. Landon does not mean you can blatantly ignore a viscount's conversation, Eugenia!" Mrs. Burnham's voice could be heard a moment later.

"I am not a flirt, Mama," Eugenia said in answer. "How would Mr. Landon have felt if I had responded to such outrageous comments in front of him?"

"It appears we both must return to our duties now," I remarked, meeting Bridges' gaze. "Good night, Miss Graham. I do hope Daphne and Calliope did not get up to too much mischief while you were out."

I stepped around them and hurried to Mrs. Burnham's dressing room. Mary was pouring hot water into the pitcher for me, and her presence kept me from leaning against the door to catch my breath. "I can put Miss Eugenia to bed," she said. "You're looking very tired tonight, Miss Nelson."

No wonder, considering everything I had been through in the short span of a few hours. "Do not worry, Mary," I told her, forcing a slight smile. I wanted to say some kind of farewell before I left. "I don't mind. I know you have more duties than I do."

"No, I insist."

Arguing would only make her suspicious, so I reluctantly gave in and hoped the letter I had left for Eugenia would be enough. "Thank you, Mary."

Mary frowned. "Miss Nelson, is something wrong?"

"I can't explain everything right now." How I wished that I could. Hopefully, the bare details would be enough to satisfy her and keep her from danger. "Avoid Bridges if you can. He is not who he pretends to be. Please, trust me, Mary."

"Are you in trouble, Miss Nelson?"

The door swung open, ending our conversation. "I do not understand my daughter," Mrs. Burnham complained as she flounced in. She tossed her shawl at me, and I was quick to keep it from hitting the floor. Mary bobbed a quick curtsey and made her exit. "The viscount was merely polite and what does Eugenia do? She focuses only on Mr. Landon! What am I to do with her?"

I kept quiet as I readied her for her bed. As she recited her list of the grievances she had suffered that evening, I didn't listen to a word of them. Once my work was complete, I closed the door, feeling a sense of relief that I would not have to face her as a lady's maid ever again.

Breathing a sigh of relief that the hallway was empty, I rushed up to my room. I made sure to wedge the chair back against the door and made my final preparations. I couldn't be sure how long Bridges would be occupied with seeing to Mr. Burnham, and I needed to escape before he came to silence me for good.

Any man who would leave a knife in a pillow would not shrink back from using violence to keep me from revealing his treachery.

Could I take the chance that Miss Graham had kept her promise? I had never known her to go back on her word before, but had her emotions blinded her to Bridges' actions? She could have told him all, thinking she was helping me back on the course she thought I needed to be on. Did he know, even now, that I was not Julie Nelson but Juliet Sinclair?

I decided I had to take the chance, making sure the paper knife was still in my pocket. If circumstances went from bad to worse, maybe it would save my life. It would be as though my brother were protecting me once again.

Breathing out, I tried to steady my nerves. My pelisse felt constricting as I tied my bonnet ribbons under my chin. I placed the notes where they would be visible to anyone entering the room and blew out my candle. Picking up my carpet bag, I pulled the chair free and opened the door. Cautiously, I checked both ways, making sure no one was in sight before I slipped out.