Chapter Seventeen

Once I was safely in my room, with the chair wedged under the doorknob, I pulled my carpet-bag out from under my bed, where I had made sure to keep it close. It didn't take long for me to deposit my few belongings into it, and I set it by the door. All I would have to do was grab it on my way out.

But I wasn't about to leave without making sure some kind of warning reached Mr. Burnham. I sat at the dressing table and applied my quill to paper. The first letter was more of a note. I used wax to seal it and set it aside. Pulling a fresh sheet of paper, I began to outline everything I had seen; every suspicious behavior I had seen from Bridges since I had arrived.

It wasn't much, to be sure, but perhaps it would be enough.

This one I addressed to Mr. Burnham before I sealed it as well. I couldn't trust that it would reach his hands if I left it on his desk, though. So, I slipped it into my pocket to have it delivered to him once I was out of the house. The last few notes were ones of farewell, and these I propped against the mirror where they were sure to be found once I was discovered missing.

My task completed, I checked my watch. It was nearing the time for the Burnhams to return but I had enough time to send the most important of my communications. I picked up the sealed note I had written first and went to the door, where I pulled the chair free of the knob. Opening the door, I glanced out into the hallway. It was all quiet, and I slipped out.

Feeling nervous and shaky, I returned to the lower levels once more, this time to the kitchen. As I expected, the footmen were alone at the table, drinking. They both jerked to their feet when I entered. "Miss Nelson," Edward, the flirtatious one of the pair, flashed a grin at me. "What brings you to us?"

"I would like to have this sent round to Mr. Harper's residence," I informed him, not caring what they would naturally assume by that. My reputation in this household no longer mattered. I held the missive out to him. "It is vitally important that this is delivered tonight."

Raising his eyebrow, Edward took it from me and made a show of studying it. "Mr. Harper, hmm? I didn't know you'd set your cap at him, Miss Nelson. You aim high. What do I get out of this?"

I flicked a pointed glance toward the decanter on the table. "I will not tell Mr. Burnham that you have a habit of drinking his good brandy." Better that than offering up the few coins I had brought along to bribe him. I didn't know whether I would need them or not.

The other footman scowled. "You've convinced me," Edward said immediately. "I will leave immediately, Miss Nelson."

Waiting until I saw him go out the door, I took the time to take a deep breath. "You look pale, Miss Nelson," the other footman said, leaning forward. "Is anything wrong?"

I walked out of the kitchen without giving him an answer. Now I had one last letter to put into place. I chose to go to the main staircase, instead of the back one. As I neared the top, I caught sight of Miss Graham and Bridges talking together in front of Mr.Burnham's bedroom door.

My steps froze as the valet turned towards me. He offered me a slight bow, a smile playing on his lips. I inclined my head in acknowledgment, determined not to show my fear. "I imagine the Burnhams will be returning soon," I called out, going up the last few steps. I walked towards them boldly. They couldn't hurt me here where anyone could come along.

"I bow to your expert opinion, Miss Nelson," Bridges said, with that ever-present mocking note. "Miss Graham tells me that you will be leaving us soon."

Miss Graham was watching me with a narrow-eyed expression. "Where have you been?"

"Sending a note to a friend." They both exchanged quick glances as I continued, "As I will be without employment tomorrow, I decided I needed to make sure I have a place to go. You understand that it would be impolite to show up on their doorstep without a word of warning."