Chapter Eleven

"You are finished here, Nelson."

Mrs. Burnham's sharp words greeted me as soon as I entered the room. She stood in the center of the room, her hands on her hips. Every response that came to mind were sarcastic and I suspected would not be appreciated. Holding my tongue, I went to the wardrobe. "Is there a particular gown you wish to wear tonight?"

My employer gave a dissatisfied huff as she sat at the dressing table. "The mauve silk," she said, her tone sullen. "You ought to have been here an hour ago, Nelson. What good are you if you are not available when I need you?"

With ease, I located the mauve gown. It was a new addition to Mrs. Burnham's wardrobe. "Miss Burnham required my assistance to prepare for tonight."

"I didn't ask for your excuses! Tomorrow, you will pack your bags and be gone."

I had the vague suspicion that this was how many lady's maids had found their employment ended. "Of course, Mrs. Burnham," I said calmly. I faced her, holding the selected gown. "I think you will look very well in this."

Twisting her head around, Mrs. Burnham stared at me over her shoulder. "I am serious, Nelson, and you will not leave with a reference from me."

Carefully laying the dress where it would be ready, I considered how to respond to this. I had not learned what I needed from the house, so I hardly wanted to leave. Otherwise, this whole masquerade was for nothing. How could I persuade Mrs. Burnham to change her mind, though?

"Perhaps you would prefer it if I were to leave immediately?"

At my question, Mrs. Burnham's eyes widened. It was a risky gamble, but one I had to try. She needed the services of a lady's maid. There was no doubt about that. It had taken her a great deal of time and effort to hire me, so it was not likely that there would be a quick replacement if I were to leave. We both knew this.

For a moment, anger burned in her eyes, and then she spun to face the mirror. "Get on with your work, Nelson!" she said sharply. "Eugenia and I are expected at the Gardners' for dinner."

Hiding a triumphant smile, I moved to begin arranging her hair. It took longer than usual to get Mrs. Burnham ready for the dinner party. She was sullen and dissatisfied with everything I did.

Finally, my employer was dressed and on her way down the stairs. I left the cleaning of the dressing room for later and rushed back to Eugenia's room. The young lady and Mary both turned to face me as I entered.

"How do I look?" Eugenia asked apprehensively.

Her once long brown hair had been cropped to only a few inches in length tapering even shorter to her neck. Now that it was no longer weighed down, Eugenia's locks had a distinct curl to them, and Monsieur Lemaire had shaped the cut masterfully. It drew attention to Eugenia's cheekbones, making her face appear longer and her eyes brighter.

Mary had woven a string of pale pink beads among the soft curls, which were brushed forward a la Titus as it was called. The white gown I'd altered looked elegant now it was free of its encumbrances, and it showed Eugenia's figure off to perfection. Her fan was clenched tightly in her gloved hands.

"Miss Burnham, you look splendid." Eugenia blushed from my praise. I went to her and gently pried her fingers from the death grip she had on her poor fan. "Mr. Landon will not know you when you arrive. The important question is, though, how do you think you look?"

She took a deep breath and faced the mirror again. "I think I look very well," she said, a note of surprise in her voice. She glanced over in a slight panic, though. "But what will Mama have to say about this?"