Chapter 3

Coming out of the bathroom I looked at my phone and saw I had a missed call from this guy Dre I had been seeing for a couple weeks. I stepped outside so I could actually hear and gave him a call. "Hello?" "Hey, you called?" "Yeah..seeing what you were up to. You busy?" "I'm actually at a bar with Mia. Decided to get Mia out the house." I leaned up against the brick wall; shuttering just a little from the fall air. "Is she alright?" "Yeah. just..personal stuff she got going on. But um.. I kind of left her at the bar so um.. I'll text you when I get home?" "Alright babe." "Bye." I hung up the phone and was heading back in. But.. trying to put my phone on vibrate I ended up bumping into someone and dropping my phone. "Fuck." I cursed to myself as the person turned around. "I'm sorry. I wasn't paying-" I began explaining.. but when I looked up and saw who it was..I couldn't help but stop mid sentence. "Kai?" "Hey....Chris." You have got to be fucking kidding me. It's not even friday. "How you been?" He asked opening up his arms as I embraced him. Jesus why are you doing this? I hadn't been in his arms in years and it felt just as good as it did before. And his cologne? I wanted to just fall asleep right there. I cleared my throat and pulled back as I placed a fake smile on my face. "I've been good. You?" "I've been good. ...you look... good." "Don't lie.. I didn't plan on coming here tonight. . I ended up dragging my sister out the house....in a tshirt and jeans like a bum." He laughed and leaned against the wall. "You still look good." I returned his smile and looked into those hazel eyes of his. "Thanks.. you do too." A shiver shook through my shoulders as I pulled my jacket tighter. "Oh..um. You were going back inside?" "Yeah I kind of left my sister in there with some guy.." "Oh okay. I'm heading in too. I'm supposed to meet my boy. Maybe I'll see you later then?" I nodded my head as I looked at him one last time and made my way back into the bar. I walked up to Mia and the guy at the bar enjoying themselves. I didn't want to stop her fun but we needed to go. "Mia... about ready?" "Why the rush?" She asked, right before someone brushed past and gave Jason dap. "What up, bro?" It was Chris. Mia stared at Chris and then back at me as a huge grin came across her face. "Mia.." I said sternly. Instead of her being the awesome big sis she could be and just follow my direction.. she instead flagged the bartender down for shots. I sighed and took my seat back as Jason got up. "You know Kai?" Chris asked him. "Actually I just met them in here while I was waiting on you. How you know her?" Before he said anything, I blurted " I'm his ex." Right before throwing back another shot.

We had been at the bar for another hour and I was kind of toasted. Mia on the other hand stopped drinking when she saw how much I was. "I'm going to go wait in the car." I said getting up. I was uncomfortable and wanting to go home. Before Mia could say anything I was half way across the bar and making my way out. Once I got up to the car I felt someone behind me. I turned around and saw Chris walking up with me. "Um..Mia asked me to make sure you got to the car." "I'm fine. You can go back inside." I gave him a fake smile and began to open my door but he blocked it. "Are we okay? You've been acting distant the whole night. Like I made you upset." I laughed and threw my purse in the car. "I'm not mad at you." "So.. what's going on?" I stared at him for at second wondering how was it that women can hold on to something for ten years..and a guy can't remember the last ten seconds. "Chris.. I don't wanna get into this." "Get into what? What is there to get into?" I sighed and closed the door. "It was weird for me to be around you tonight. I hadn't seen you in years and ..the last time we spoke...it was me pouring my heart out to you.. and you ignored me. So.. sorry for bringing down the party." He sighed and I could see him doing that jaw clenching thing I used to love. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have even said anything." I got ready to open the door again but he closed it back. "I'm sorry.." he said. "What?" "I'm sorry. You're right.. I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have ignored you. I honestly didn't know you were still upset about it." "Yeah...kind of.. never got over it." I mumbled. "What?" "Nothing.." "You never got over it?" I sighed and leaned against the car. "Kai.. do you still have feelings for me?" Why are we having this conversation?  I was supposed to be at home..eating. "Chris..it doesn't matter." "Why does it not matter all of a sudden how you feel when I can clearly see its bothering you?" "Because it didn't matter when I told you how it felt then.. and I highly doubt it'll matter now." Silence fell between us as I sighed. " Look.. I'm not trying to be enemies with you.. I just.. unfortunately I didn't get the blessing to move on. ...not like you did." He stepped in front of me and his tall frame towered over mine. "I don't want you to think I never cared about you." "It's a little late for that." I laughed sarcastically.  "No, seriously. .Kai I loved you.. but.. we had grown apart and ...I didn't feel the same anymore...and I'm sorry you never got to find anyone else.." "Stop.. just stop apolgizing.. and feeling sorry for me. I know you stopped caring about me.. and I know my feelings will never get returned. So it's fine..but um.. congrats on getting engaged." He looked shocked as if he didn't think I knew. I took this as my que to leave. "Thanks for making sure I got to my car.." He nodded his head and got ready to turn around but I pulled his hand. He looked back at me confused.. before I knew it.. my arms were wrapped around his neck and my lips had fell upon his. I had been craving this moment for years. And I knew this was going to be a one sided thing but..I don't know.. maybe this would give me closure? To my surprise,  his hands wrapped around my waist and he pushed me up against the car. My tongue twirled with his as his hands inched from my waist..to my ass. I pulled back instantly  realizing what was happening. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-" before I could say anything, Mia and Jason walked up to us. "You ready?" Mia asked. I nodded my head and looked at Chris one last time before making my way to the other side of the car. They said their goodbyes and we pulled off..making our way back home.