Chapter 1.12 (The Philosopher's Stone)

Start from the beginning

"How was I supposed to know it was venomous? The yellow fur covering the plant wasn't exactly alarming and it made cute noises."

"You set the house on fire once..."

"That was Jace's fault. He didn't want to watch Sleeping Beauty and you know how much I love that film." She pouted.

Remus sighed, running a hand through his lightbrown hair. "Fine, what is it that you can't know about but still...well...know about?"

"Nicholas Flamel."

"Nicholas Flamel?"

"Yes, you know him?" She asked hopefully.

"Of course, he's a well-known inventor."

"Really? What did he invent?"

Remus laughed, tapping her nose with his finger. "Why don't you figure that out for yourself."

She pouted. "But dad..."

"What's a good investigation without a mystery?"

"Less work?" She tried but he just laughed. "You're being mean. At least give me a hint." She begged.

"Okay, fine. He's famous because he created something that no one's ever managed to create...though many tried."

"Is that all I'm going to get?"

"Yes, now hurry up! We are leaving in a few minutes."

The Hogwarts castle
Scotland, Great Britain
January 6 1992

"What do you mean Snape is refereeing?" Artemis gasped.

"Don't play." Hermione said at once.

"Say you're ill." Said Ron.

"Pretend to break your leg." Hermione suggested.

"Really break your leg." Said Ron.

"I can't." Said Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all."

"Neville!" Giselle exclaimed worriedly as her brother fell through the portrait hole. How he even managed to get this far is a mystery because his legs had been stuck together with the Leg-Locker Curse. Everyone fell over laughing except Hermione, Artemis and Giselle, who leapt up to help him. Hermione performed the countercurse while Giselle and Artemis helped him up.

"What happened?" Artemis asked as he got to his feet, trembling.

"Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urged Neville. "Report him!"

"I don't want more trouble." He mumbled.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville." Said Ron. "He's used to walk all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier." Artemis actually looked up from the wise words that came out of Ron's mouth.

"Did someone record that?" She heard Elizabeth shout, also surprised at Ron's words.

"There is no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that." Neville choked out.

Harry handed him a Chocolat Frog. "You're worth twelve of Malfoy, Neville. The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn't it? And where's Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin." Neville's lips twitched in a weak smile as he unwrapped the frog.

"Neville, you belong here with the rest of us. Do you think that we are fearless, that we never get scared? I'm afraid of a lot of things but the fact that I try and conquer them already makes me brave. Neville, you're terrified of Snape, terrified of being here, terrified to not live up to your house's expectations but guess what...you still try and that is what makes you a Gryffindor. You don't give up."