Hazy

Tears stung my eyes. Thoughts began to spin around in my head. Was that girl bought and sold as a sex slave too? I was hurt and confused.

"It's alri-" Emilee began, before I cut her off. "Just go." I whispered. She nodded and walked off. 

I touched the picture resiliently. I stared at the boy. He had sparkly, ocean blue eyes. Just like Luke. And the girl had deep blue eyes.

I didn't keep track of time. I must have sat there for a while. I started to see the sun rise, casting an orange spell on the sky.

I heard Luke yawn behind me. Being startled again, I jumped, causing the picture of Luke and the boy to fly across the floor... over to Luke's crusty toes. 

He looked down. I was too scared to look and see his reaction. He sighed, breaking the long silence and walked out of the room, dropping and leaving the picture behind. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. Was he mad at me?

Gaining the courage, I walked downstairs, expecting to be yelled at by Luke. To my surprise, Luke wasn't to be seen. 

Emilee sat with Clover, she barely looked up when I walked down. "Where did Luke go?" I asked, my voice shaky.

"He left. Said he needed some alone time so he could think." She replied. 

"Come with me, we need to go find him." I requested. She got up, grabbed Clover's leash, her car keys as well.

We put Clover in the back and hopped into the car. "Where might he be?" I asked, like she knew him that well.

"I dunno." Emilee replied, without thinking. Flashbacks about the time when Luke and Calum got into the accident crept over me.

"Well, we need to find him!" I exclaimed, looking back at Clover, who was fast asleep.

We drove around in continuous circles for what seemed like forever

It seemed like every time something good happened, something bad happened as well.

After driving around, we spotted Luke sitting down on a bench at the park. "I'll be here." Emilee said, motioning for me to get out. 

I walked out of the car. I didn't care that I was wearing sweat pants and a shirt that read 'Cool story, bro'.

It was getting cold out. I had no jacket on, so I began to shiver. I sat down next to him.

"Luke," I began. He stared straight ahead, like he didn't hear me. I called his name once more.

"Alright, enough! Luke I know you hear me calling you." I said. No response.

I huffed and sat back, looking ahead at the sky like him. "Why aren't you talking to me? Why can't we just sit down and talk about this, huh?" I asked.

"What do you want to talk about? How you went through my stuff?" He responded, sarcastically. 

He looked over and saw me shiver again. "Fine," I mumbled, beginning to get up.

"Wait, Eliza." He demanded. I froze and sat back down. "What you saw wasn't a hundred percent accurate. I really wasn't that biologic child's father. The girl you saw was my ex." he began, I looked down as he went on.

"Her name was Cassidy. His name was Joe. Cassidy and I had wanted to have children, but Cassidy wasn't able to. So, we adopted Joe. Three months after his arrival, him and Cassidy were killed." Luke finished. 

"Oh, Luke." I said, trying to comfort him. I put my hand on his hand. We both were quiet. 

"Look, I'm sorry for being snoopy." I added. "No, it's fine. Really, Eliza." He said, kissing my left cheek.

"Let's go home, Luke." I said. He stood up with me to get into Emilee's car.

                                                  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The rest of the afternoon felt weird. Luke had contracted a cold. 

"Here comes the airplane." I said, giving Luke another spoonful of soup into his mouth. 

"Here comes the other airplane." Alexis said, repeating what I did. Luke grinned.

I looked down and noticed the my shirt was beginning too get to small. "You're getting fat, Mommy!"  Alexis cried out. Luke laughed. I gasped in a joking way and fake cried. "Or maybe Mommy shrunk her shirt in the washing machine." Stated Luke.

He put his hands on my belly, Alexis doing the same. "Softly," I told her. 

"One day you're gonna be an older sister. You might have a younger brother or sister." I informed.

Alexis did her 'excited fart face' and smiled. "Yay!" She cheered.

I looked back at Luke and then sighed.

I laid down next to Alexis. In an instant, I fell asleep.