Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Are you Jade West?"

Jade blinked rapidly and met the angry face of a young man who had Beck's eyes.

"Yes, that's me," Jade said uncertainly.

"Do you know who I am?" the man burst out and Jade felt a little intimidated by his presence. He was clearly upset and when people were like this, they tended not to think things through. Nobody had noticed their conversation and Jade spotted Tori talking to Beck's dad. She tried to get her girlfriend's attention but it was no use.

"Hey, I'm talking to you," the man said again.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know who you are," Jade said firmly. Her dress was starting to feel heavy on her skin.

"I'm Jack, Beck's brother," he spat and Jade flinched.

"I-I'm sorry about your-"

"Don't give me that bullshit," Jack growled. He had dark bruises under his eyes. "I don't need your apologies. I just want to know why you couldn't stop my brother from killing himself. You were his girlfriend, weren't you? Then why is he dead? Why didn't you do anything?!"

Jade swallowed hard and felt a huge ball of emotion swirl in her chest. Anger, sadness, guilt...

"You can't even answer me, can you? It's your fault he's gone!"

Jack's eyes were starting to fill from unshed tears and Jade couldn't stand to look at him. Couldn't stand to see the disgust reflecting in his face for what Jade couldn't do. Because he was right and she was responsible. She should have done something... anything...

"My little brother," Jack sobbed. "He's gone forever and I wasn't here! I wasn't here but you were. You were and you didn't do anything. He's dead... Oh God."

Jade watched the man break down and she had never seen such pain. She was frozen to the spot feeling her own heart snap in two, feeling this man's anguish and she almost buckled under it all. The guilt and agony.

"I'm sorry," Jade cried. "I'm so sorry, Jack. You're right- I should have done more. I should have realized what was happening but I didn't. I didn't and now Beck's gone."

Jack dropped to his knees and sobbed into his hands. Jade wanted to do the same but that was when Tori joined them and found her girlfriend in an almost catatonic state. Others were watching them in pity and sorrow whilst Jack cried his heart into the ground.

"Jade? Jade, are you okay?"

Jade could barely hear Tori over the sound of the man's crying and her racing heart. She couldn't tear her eyes away from him as guilt ate away at her insides.

Jade felt Tori's arms wrap around her and she slowly came back to reality, blinking at Tori. The brunette couldn't even begin to imagine what the pain felt like that she could see reflecting in her girlfriend's eyes. Tori almost couldn't handle it.

"W-who's that?" Tori whispered.

"J-Jack. Beck's older brother," Jade replied.

"I didn't know Beck had a brother."

"Looks like there were lots of things we didn't know about him," Jade murmured.

Beck's parents approached them then and his mother quickly picked Jack up off the ground, whispering into his ear. The boy was a wreck and Tori's heart went out to him as he was guided away.

"H-he blamed me," Jade said quietly.

"What?" Tori asked.

"He blamed me for his death."