Chapter 2: Jameson

CHAPTER 2
Jameson's P.O.V.

"Jamie..." Nathaniel whispered, hiding slightly behind the door of the classroom. I gave an exasperated sigh. What kind of a teenager came to hang out with a teacher when they didn't have to?

"It's lunch now. Talk to me tomorrow morning." I told him, going back to grading the papers in front of me. He didn't leave. Sighing even deeper, I took off my glasses and rubbed my forehead. "Come in Nat."

He rushed in, closing the door behind him and walking to stand beside me. "Watcha doing Jamie?"

"Mr. Matthews..." I corrected. "And I was grading papers. Is there something you want to say now or are you wasting my time again?"

"no, its just..." he sat down in my lap, not caring that it was an unwelcomed gesture, and wrapped his arms around my neck. "How cute am i?"I froze, remembering the first time he had ever asked me this question.

"Pretty boy, pretty boy, icky little pretty boy!" They chanted outside, more and more eggs smacking against the windows of my house. "Pretty boy, pretty boy, you're such poison!" Nathaniel sat huddled in a chair on the farthest side of the living room, on the verge of tears.

"With all this free time they'd have come up with a better taunt don't you think?" I joked, picking his huddled five year old form up from the chair and into my arms. "Ignore them." We sat down like that; listening to the eggs hit our windows.

Nathaniel and his parents, Rebecca and Marcellus Roberts, were new to the neighborhood and had stood out from the beginning. Rebecca was a teenage supermodel who had given up her overwhelmingly successful career to marry the most famous male model, her husband Marcellus, and share their joint fortunes to explore the world like only two exceptionally good looking and rich people can. When they had their first and only child, he was destined to outshine both of them in beauty.

It was eerie almost, how his soft pale brown hair contrasted with his lightly tanned skin and his green eyes dared you to make a move against him, something impossible to do. He had become their star at the young age of three and had been spotted on the covers of almost every appropriate magazine, earning the title, 'pretty boy' from the public. Kids weren't too accepting of someone so unnaturally gorgeous. They reacted like animals, attacking when they felt threatened. "Jami-sen..." He whispered, tumbling over my name. "how cute am i?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, brushing his hair out of his face.

"mummy and daddy, they say it's nice I'm pretty. It's good. But, those kids outside say it's bad. I don't care what they think though..." He explained. "They're all meanies and they're not my friend like you. what do you think? Is it bad that I'm cute? Am I too cute?"

"You're cute Nathaniel. It's not something to feel bad about. In fact, you should feel proud" I told him. He seemed unconvinced by my words though."Not everyone is lucky enough to be as attractive as you are. It's a gift that only you have."

'Would you like me better if I wasn't pretty?" he questioned.

"I can't like you any more than I do now kid. Stop worrying." I flicked his nose. "You don't want to be a teenager with wrinkles do you?" He shook his head quickly, absolutely horrified by my words, forcing me to hold in a laugh. Instead, we sat in silence again, listening to the crack of eggshell against wall.

It had been an innocent conversation, something an older brother would tell his younger in a time of distress, but everything with Nat seemed to be taken out of context since he turned eleven. "You're relatively attractive. Now let me finish my work." I told him coldly, eager to get his slender yet soft body out of my lap. He grimaced, tightening his hold around my neck.